Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> nukeFeed/FeedCreator
Gremmie
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote

Can someone else try this?

I have created two feeds with NukeFeed: forums and news. I go to the feed module, click subscribe, and then click the add to google button. A box is added to my iGoogle page, but after a week or so, the feed still hasn't shown up there. Instead it just says: Information is temporarily unavailable.

I've noticed the link that gets sent to Google is of the form:
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

If I manually add the link [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] to the Google reader (which is different than iGoogle), I see the feed. So it looks like a google issue. But just wanted to hear if others got their feeds to work on iGoogle. Thanks.

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote

I have added two feeds from my site, forums and news. Both are using the ShortLinks url's i.e [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
iGoogle accepted them without a problem.

When I go to my iGoogle homepage though, I can see the url's to the feed's in two seperate boxes as I would expect and in the header of thos boxes, the ulr's are correctly formatted.
Only thing is see for 'data' though is a message saying "Information is temporarily unavailable". Sad

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote

Hmm I checked in NS UserAgent tracker and Google is trying to get it
Feedfetcher-Google; (+http://www.google.com/feedfetcher.html)

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote

That's interesting, I think we might need montego and kguske to look at this oddity...
I just went back to NS to see which pages were being accessed by iGogles and FeedFetcher and it gives me this
feeds-5.html
This means iGoogle is trying to access [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] which although a valid url is actually a webpage not a feed (at least according to the W3C validator [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote

I think it should be feeds-5.xml instead of .html.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote

Hm thats interesting as feeds-5.xml is an invalid uri (404) I think I may need to check my htaccess directives as I may have some hybrid cross RN version mix.

kguske

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote

I'm not positive, but I remember discussing with Montego using .xml or something like that for the short url for a feed. The feed itself might be something like feedsrss20-5.xml or something else to indicate what format to use.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:24 am Reply with quote

Yes you are right!
What can I say, was suffering from user error?
Here is how I got it to work.
Click your sites Feed link which should take you to the page from which you can subscribe to specific feeds.
Instead of using the +Google icon, use the RSS 2.0 icon and when the page refreshes, that's the url to paste into iGoogles 'add content' page.

kguske

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:13 am Reply with quote

Could / should we an an iGoogle icon?

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote

Wow you guys a quick... Laughing Good memory Kguske. I did what you told me I should do. Laughing Wink

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:51 am Reply with quote

Yes, I think to avoid any possible confusion between 'Google' (bookmark) we should add an iGoogle icon but I just had a look and as they are using AJAX it is impossible to identify a URL so as to be able to pass something in the uri string.

Maybe we can add it to the 'to do' list if/when someone has the time to dive into Googles API

kguske

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote

OK - but no time soon...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> nukeFeed/FeedCreator

View next topic
View previous topic