Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.20.00 - All Issues
elkingkong
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote

Hi all,

My problem is that my FeedBack Module is not sending an email to the Admin. After I hit the send button I get this message “Mail has not been sent! Had error with mailer.”. I have searched the forums and found similar problems but nothing that matches my problem. Here is a link to the FeedBack page on my site [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

I am running a new install of RavenNuke_v2.20.01 on Godaddy servers. The current admin email is the email account that was provided by Godaddy. I made sure the FeedBack module is active.

Troubleshooting

1st Scenario

The TegoNuke Mailer Settings are on default so the “Activate Mailer?” option is set to “No” and the “Send Method” is set to “Mail()”.
1. Yes, the Recommend Us email can be sent
2. Yes, the HTML Newsletter email can be sent
3. No, the Feedback email cannot be sent. After I hit send I get “Mail has not been sent! Had error with mailer.” message.

2nd Scenario

The TegoNuke Mailer Settings are change so the “Activate Mailer?” option is set to “Yes” and the “Send Method” is set to “Mail()”.
1. Yes, the Recommend Us email can be sent
2. No, the HTML Newsletter email cannot be sent. It looks like the email was sent but I never receive the email.
3. No, the Feedback email cannot be sent. After I hit send I get a blank empty box where a confirmation should be.

For both above situations, in the Feedback page, I have used admin and non admin emails in the “Your Email:” box with no success. I have also tried it in IE and FF still no success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote

I just tried using the TegoNuke(tm) Mailer with "Yes" and "Mail()" and the Feedback module sent the email just fine. Please try and re-upload the Feedback module directory and possibly even try using FileZilla to do the FTP (free from sourceforge.net).

I suspect the issue with the HTML Newsletter is the email is somehow being blocked as spam, so please do check your spam filters. Sometimes too I've noticed that when the from and to email addresses are the same (which can happen when using the same admin email address), that some ISPs will also block this or mark as spam. Try using the ad-hoc email address method and send it to a completely different email address.

dad7732
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:45 am Reply with quote

Also sent a feedback but upon completion got a blank page and did not receive a return email - was I supposed to?

elkingkong

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:12 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I just tried using the TegoNuke(tm) Mailer with "Yes" and "Mail()" and the Feedback module sent the email just fine. Please try and re-upload the Feedback module directory and possibly even try using FileZilla to do the FTP (free from sourceforge.net).

I downloaded the newest version of FileZilla, FileZilla_3.0.9.3_win32-setup.exe, and re-uploaded the Feedback directory. I tried to send a Feedback email using both scenarios and still no email was sent and the same errors occur.

Am I right to assume that the email address that the Feedback module sends to, is the email address that is defined in the Admin Preference page in the “Administrator Email:” box?

Quote:
I suspect the issue with the HTML Newsletter is the email is somehow being blocked as spam, so please do check your spam filters. Sometimes too I've noticed that when the from and to email addresses are the same (which can happen when using the same admin email address), that some ISPs will also block this or mark as spam. Try using the ad-hoc email address method and send it to a completely different email address.

I checked my spam filters and the email was not in there. I tried sending the HTML Newsletter using the “Ad-Hoc email distribution list” and that seemed to fix that problem. Thanks for that solution, I appreciate the help.

My primary problem is that the Feedback module doesn’t send the email. We need this function so that our customers can make an appointment via email. Do you happen to know of any other possible solutions to this dilemma?

Thanks in advance.

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:36 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

Am I right to assume that the email address that the Feedback module sends to, is the email address that is defined in the Admin Preference page in the “Administrator Email:” box?

Yes.

If Feedback, account registration, and other email functions aren't working, perhaps your host has disabled the use of Mail() for emailing

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
elkingkong

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:15 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes.

Thanks evaders99 for your answer.

Quote:
If Feedback, account registration, and other email functions aren't working, perhaps your host has disabled the use of Mail() for emailing

The Account Registration is working. The other email functions such as Recommend Us and the HTML Newsletter are working. The Feedback module is the only thing that is not working.

If the Account Registration, Recommend Us and the HTML Newsletter are working then wouldn’t that mean that my host does allow the use of Mail()? Please correct me if I’m wrong, I’m still new to the whole nuke system. Thanks again.

dad7732

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:32 am Reply with quote

In the TegoNuke setup, use SMTP, enter the outgoing address for your ISP, username and password. The default port is 25, no need to change that if the other mail functions are working.

montego

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quote

It does not make sense to me that these others emails are getting sent and not from Feedback. I am using the stock Feedback module on my site from RavenNuke 2.20.01 and it is using the PHP mail() function, just as yours is, and this works for me.

I'll take a look at the Feedback module code again and see if there is any specific about that one.

You may also need to check with your web host and see if you/they can see what is blocking this email from getting sent. If all of these others are getting sent, Feedback should to, so I doubt that it is anything within PHP or the code per se. I suspect they have something blocking it from going out or you have something blocking it coming in.

elkingkong

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
In the TegoNuke setup, use SMTP, enter the outgoing address for your ISP, username and password. The default port is 25, no need to change that if the other mail functions are working.

Dad7732, I tried to set up the smtp function but this made it worse, not only did the Feedback not work but the other modules wouldn’t send emails either. I tried setting up the smtp with two different accounts with no success. I believe I use the correct settings but without a successful sent email it’s not possible to tell.

Dad7732, you said earlier that you had a similar problem; did activating the smtp fix your problem?

Quote:
You may also need to check with your web host and see if you/they can see what is blocking this email from getting sent. If all of these others are getting sent, Feedback should to, so I doubt that it is anything within PHP or the code per se. I suspect they have something blocking it from going out or you have something blocking it coming in.

Montego, I will call my web host today and find out what they can do for me.

dad7732

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
you said earlier that you had a similar problem
No, the problem I had was trying the feedback on YOUR site, not mine.

I'm curious about something ... Are you by chance logged in to one system and trying send mail through another system/ISP, etc. ??

Cheers

dad7732

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote

Process of elimination: Disable firewall, anti-virus. If you're running through a proxy then go with direct connection (check that anyway). Router? If you're going through a router then there should be a connection sniffer available and if so see what happens when click on submit in the Feedback and see if it's going outbound and if so to what IP.

Cheers

elkingkong

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

Montego, I called my web host and they directed me to a “Forms Email Address” page in my host admin section. They told me that I need to put an Email address there to allow emails to be sent out. They also said to wait a while before it takes affect. So I will check the Feedback module in the morning to see if it works. I hope it does.

elkingkong

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm curious about something ... Are you by chance logged in to one system and trying send mail through another system/ISP, etc. ??

Dad7732, I am logged in as admin on my site and logged into my admin email address. I have been typing into the Feedback page and after hitting submit, I refresh my email inbox.

Quote:
Process of elimination: Disable firewall, anti-virus. If you're running through a proxy then go with direct connection (check that anyway). Router? If you're going through a router then there should be a connection sniffer available and if so see what happens when click on submit in the Feedback and see if it's going outbound and if so to what IP.

I disable my firewall and anti-virus. I don’t use a proxy. I still did not receive the email. I do go through a router. I logged into the router but was unable to find any “connection sniffer”. Anything else you recommend?

Nooorm..... I mean Cheers Very Happy

montego

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:01 am Reply with quote

elkingkong, I had mentioned the following above:

[quote=montego]Sometimes too I've noticed that when the from and to email addresses are the same (which can happen when using the same admin email address), that some ISPs will also block this or mark as spam.[/quote]

Please log out of your admin and then log in as a normal user (one that does NOT use that admin email address) and then try to send a feedback. I.e., try to mimic exactly what your normal registered users are going to do. I suspect it will work then.

elkingkong

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote

elkingkong wrote:
Quote:

Montego, I called my web host and they directed me to a “Forms Email Address” page in my host admin section. They told me that I need to put an Email address there to allow emails to be sent out. They also said to wait a while before it takes affect. So I will check the Feedback module in the morning to see if it works. I hope it does.

Ok, it looks like its still not working. I am still looking into this function, there seems to be some documentation online.

elkingkong

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote

montego wrote:
Please log out of your admin and then log in as a normal user (one that does NOT use that admin email address) and then try to send a feedback. I.e., try to mimic exactly what your normal registered users are going to do. I suspect it will work then.

Montego, I have logged out of admin and logged in as a normal user. In the “Your Email:” box my non admin email is displayed. I entered the security code and then I hit the “Send” button. I still get the “Mail has not been sent! Had error with mailer.” message and no email. So I also tried some other combinations.

No admin, no user
No admin, yes user
Yes admin, no user
Yes admin, yes user

None of these combinations seem to work either. I made sure that I used non admin emails in the “Your Email:” box.

dad7732

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote

The only way this may get resolved is if you PM your login info to one of the trusted admin/moderator/owner of this site so they can admin in to your setup. I did just that and it was quite a learning experience for the rest of us.

elkingkong

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote

I took a look at the code from the Feedback module and the Recommend Us module and saw some differences. Line 200 in the Feedback index.php looks like this
Code:
.'<form method="post" action="modules.php?name='.$module_name.'">'."\n"

and line 228 in the Recommend Us index.php looks like this
Code:
echo "<form method=\"post\" action=\"modules.php?name=$module_name\">\n";

They’re both the beginning of the Form but are written slightly differently. Could this have anything to do with my problem? Does the Feedback code need to be rewritten?

Cheers

evaders99

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote

No, that code change shouldn't affect how the Feedback module sends mail

elkingkong

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote

dad7732 wrote:
The only way this may get resolved is if you PM your login info to one of the trusted admin/moderator/owner of this site so they can admin in to your setup. I did just that and it was quite a learning experience for the rest of us.

If the ‘powers that be’ feel that it’s necessary, then I am willing to PM my login.

elkingkong

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:33 am Reply with quote

Ok, I looked into something my host calls “PHP Form-Mailer”. Here is the link [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] . I enter my email address into my host’s admin page in the “Forms Email Address” box. Then I used the form code provided on the Godaddy page
Code:
<form action="/gdform.php" method="post">

<input type="hidden" name="subject" value="Form Submission" /> <input type="hidden" name="redirect" value="index.php" />
    <p>First Name:<input type="text" name="FirstName" /></p>
    <p>Last Name:<input type="text" name="LastName" /></p>
    <p>E-Mail:<input type="text" name="email" /></p>
    <p>Comments:<textarea name="comments" cols="40" rows="10">Type comments here.</textarea></p>
    <input type="submit" name="submit" value="submit" />
</form>

I changed the value to redirect them to my index.php.

The form looks like it goes through “gdform.php” which is provided by my host. Here is the code for that file
Code:
<?php

$request_method = $_SERVER["REQUEST_METHOD"];
    if($request_method == "GET"){
      $query_vars = $_GET;
    } elseif ($request_method == "POST"){
      $query_vars = $_POST;
    }
    reset($query_vars);
    $t = date("U");

$file = $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . "/../data/gdform_" . $t;
    $fp = fopen($file,"w");
    while (list ($key, $val) = each ($query_vars)) {
     fputs($fp,"<GDFORM_VARIABLE NAME=$key START>\n");
     fputs($fp,"$val\n");
     fputs($fp,"<GDFORM_VARIABLE NAME=$key END>\n");
     if ($key == "redirect") { $landing_page = $val;}
    }
    fclose($fp);
    if ($landing_page != ""){
   header("Location: http://".$_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"]."/$landing_page");
    } else {
   header("Location: http://".$_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"]."/");
    }

?>

This modification sends the email. Here is the link to the form on my site if you want to take a look at it [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Would it be a good idea to modify the Feedback module to use the “gdform.php” file? Or to add some of the “gdform.php” code into the Feedback module code? Or am I going in the wrong direction?

Thanks

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:38 am Reply with quote

The feedback module contains code to help combat automated bot spamming and user input validation so I would not reccomend you alter that code unless specifically requested to do so by an Admin or Moderator here.
I would certainly not use the code you posted on my server Sad

I have some time later I'll take a look at it.

elkingkong

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:57 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Guardian2003. Any help is appreciated.

montego

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote

elkingkong, I finally had a chance to look at this and can offer the following suggestion to try:

=== OPEN FILE ===

modules/Feedback/index.php

=== FIND CODE ===

Code:

if (defined('TNML_IS_ACTIVE')) {
         $mailsuccess = tnml_fMailer($to, $subject, $msg, $sender_email, $sender_name);
      } else {
         $mailsuccess = mail($to, $subject, $msg, $mailheaders);
      }

=== REPLACE WITH ===

Code:

$to = array(array($adminmail, ''));
      } else {
      }

=== DONE ===

See if this gets rid of the error.

elkingkong

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote

montego wrote:
elkingkong, I finally had a chance to look at this and can offer the following suggestion to try:

=== OPEN FILE ===

modules/Feedback/index.php

=== FIND CODE ===

Code:

} else {
      }

=== REPLACE WITH ===

Code:

$to = array(array($adminmail, ''));
      } else {
      }

=== DONE ===

See if this gets rid of the error.

I added the changes and I still get the error and still no email. It sucks to be broken. I hope you have more in your bag of tricks.

I am going to call my host again. Do you know what questions I should ask them?

Thanks and Cheers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.20.00 - All Issues

View next topic
View previous topic