Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> FCKeditor/WYSIWYG Issues
j4rdin
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote

I'm using the latest version of Raven Nuke and have just tried to edit a news item and add some images. As admin I have access to the Upload icon and can get the upload box up, for some reason it seems to have become stuck in a blank / empty directory and i can't get it back again. I have checked the permissions on the folders and they seem to be correct.

The news item I did immediately before the problem started has posted Ok and shows the images I uploaded to the server.

Any ideas what might have gone wrong.

John

ps: I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.14 but there doesn't seem to be a problem if I use IE7 instead.

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote

I'll test this on an RN site, but it might be better to use the new version of nukeWYSIWYG (we're testing it now, but it might be faster to use that that figure out what the issue is).

Has anything else changed on your site recently? Other JS ?

j4rdin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote

kguske wrote:
I'll test this on an RN site, but it might be better to use the new version of nukeWYSIWYG (we're testing it now, but it might be faster to use that that figure out what the issue is).

Has anything else changed on your site recently? Other JS ?

Apart form the upgrade to RN2.20.01 and the upgrade to Nuke Sentinel 2.5.16 and updated IP Country tables its the same as before. There is a possibility that there might have been an update to Firefox in the last week. As I said above I can edit and upload images as before using IE7, so my gut instinct is its an update to Firefox causing the problem.

The website is at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] and another at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] that has the same problems.

John

j4rdin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote

Ok seems to have been rectified now. As far as i can tell the only change has been that I cleared the session cookies from Firefox. Its now working again, one of them must have been corrupted somehow.

John Twisted Evil

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote

Great - thanks for following up.

dad7732
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote

Please move my post to a more appropriate thread if needed, thanks.

I cannot get FCK to work in ANY of my RN (2.20.00) sites in ANY theme including the default "fisubice" theme. I have advanced editor = 1 in rnconfig in all sites. I am running with Firefox 2.0.0.14 (latest) but it hasn't worked in any previous version as well, including SeaMonkey, Navigator 9, etc. JS is enabled, the htaccess.txt file has been renamed to .htaccess in the FCK root directory, all files and directories are 777. Completely stumped here. The problem is (better than just not working) that cannot input any text nor will selecting "edit" in "messages" will input a previously configured message.

Help? Where do we go from here, obviously I'm missing "something".

Cheers, Jay

Last edited by dad7732 on Tue May 06, 2008 1:44 pm; edited 3 times in total 
kguske

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:23 pm Reply with quote

Can you send a PM with details about your site so I can take a look?

dad7732

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote

I sent a PM but it appears to not have gone, still in the outbox, not in sentbox. Dunno

kguske

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote

It stays in outbox until it's been read. Look now... As for details, I'll need the URL, at least (assuming that visitors or members can submit news), and, if possible, an admin account (to test messages).

kguske

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote

OK. It looks like the changes aren't all completed correctly. I'll need to get FTP access to check and resolve. If you can PM that, I'll take a look.

dad7732

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote

Huge clue !!! The FCK Editor works with Firefox in IE mode but not in FF mode. No clue why, that's for the expert to find out ... Smile

dad7732

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:29 am Reply with quote

Update ..

What I think we have here is basically a browser detection issue that MAY be the primary cause of the problem along with other issues.

Firefox: Loads the editor toolbar but cannot edit or add new content, nothing appears in the content window

IE: All functions work. In FF using IE Tab, it works 100%

Netscape 7.2: Same issue as with Firefox
Seamonkey: Same as Firefox

Using Firefox and the extension "User Agent Switcher" it works using Opera UA but no toolbar, content can be edited or new content added and saved.

Cheers, Jay

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote

This appears to be more likely a server setup issue, damaged/missing files or some kind of weird firewall problem. Most likely server related as you are having the same issue on a number of sites.
As far as I know, this is the first time this particular problem has occured in the 18 months or so people have been using the FCKEditor so it all seems very strange.

dad7732

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote

Server is FreeBSD and Apache, nothing special on the setup. My question is if it was a "server" issue then why does IE work as well as the IE Tab extension work in Firefox? Am running a hardware firewall (Firebox 1000) and is not blocking anything. I also disabled the firewall but that didn't do anything to correct the situation. Register_Globals has no effect ON or OFF either. Also interesting is that switching the UA string has different effects as well. It's the "Content" box that doesn't appear. The toolbar appears 100% using native Firefox, Seamonkey, etc.

BTW: I re-uploaded the FCKEditor files to no avail, unless there is something wrong wtih the particular distro package, I'll try a re-download and see what happens.

I zipped up /FCKEditor, mainfile.php and messages.php and sent to "kguske" via email for evaluation.

Cheers, Jay

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote

As I said in my post "it all seems very strange", more so because no one else has reported this specific problem with the browsers you use and one would expect more reports of this issue with several thousand downloads of the latest RN version alone if it was simply a browser problem.
Personally I'm stumped, and my post was more a 'thinking aloud' than anything else so I'm sure everyone appreciates the time kguske is taking out of what precious free time he has to look at this personally for you.

dad7732

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote

I manage several support venues, so I am well aware of the meaning of "free time", wish I had some of that. Very appreciative of the support here on several topics, etc. The only thing strange here is that it works 100% in IE as well as in IE mode in Firefox but not in "anything" Netscape/Mozilla related. That's the stumper. Still could be some localization problem and more than likely is. Not pulling hair out simply because I can use the editor in Firefox/IE mode.

Cheers, Jay

dad7732

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quote

There is another issue that can be of concern and that is the upload method - ascii or binary. I use CuteFTP in "automatic" mode, I'll check that out anyway and in the meantime will upload using another FTP app such as FileZilla or FireFTP. Best I can remember, IE isn't particularly picky in this area in a *NIX environment. Any pointers in this direction??

Cheers, Jay

kguske

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote

If that's the case, my reviewing the zipped file might be a waste of time. But using a tool like BeyondCompare to compare what's loaded on your server with a working server might shed some light. But that would require FTP access, so I'll take a look at the zip files.

kguske

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote

Hmmm...just noticed something. Can you rename includes/FCKeditor/.htaccess back to htaccess.txt (or something different)?

kguske

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote

From the same file:
Quote:
# On some specific Linux installations you could face problems with Firefox.
# It could give you errors when loading the editor saying that some illegal
# characters were found (three strange chars in the beginning of the file).
# This could happen if you map the .js or .css files to PHP, for example.
#
# Those characters are the Byte Order Mask (BOM) of the Unicode encoded files.
# All FCKeditor files are Unicode encoded.
#
# Just rename this file to ".htaccess" and leave it in the editor directory.
# There are no security issues on doing it. It just sets the ".js" and ".css"
# files to their correct content types.

I believe that file goes away in version 2.6.

If so, you may be able to resolve it by reuploading your files using binary.

dad7732

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote

Renaming the htaccess did nothing. Will try the binary upload tomorrow and will see what happens.

Cheers, Jay

dad7732

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote

Still nothing after re-uploading using binary only, couldn't wait until tomorrow. Smile

Cheers, Jay

We'll get there, sure it's something simple / local, especially since there are no other complaints.

Does not work in Netscape 7.2 which is NOT sourced OR based on Firefox, so it's something else - Gecko maybe? Also interesting is that there IS a "content" box in Communicator 4.8 but no toolbar. This tells me that it has to be a problem in CSS and/or JS capabilities because Communicator 4 is nowhere near as advanced in CSS or JS as the later Netscape 7,8 and 9 versions based on Firefox source.

kguske

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:42 am Reply with quote

I just checked and the Submit News function works, but still no joy on messages.

kguske

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:44 am Reply with quote

Blocks admin not working either. We might want to try the new version 2.6.

dad7732

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:12 am Reply with quote

Quote:
We might want to try the new version 2.6.

Point me in the direction of the download and I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks, Jay

BTW: In the error console in FF I get an awful lot of CSS errors in FCKEditor.css, something about "filter" declaration.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> FCKeditor/WYSIWYG Issues

View next topic
View previous topic