Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - PHP Nuke
Poll
Do you have an dreary web site that you want refreshed?
Hell yes!!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Definatley
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Nah
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

grantb
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote

I love phpnuke.. it has helped me through all my web related brain farts for the last couple of years!! I have an old website that needs a refesh and I dont know what to do!?.. I have made this site my baby and I went to no ends to make the site standards compliant and security packed and SEO enhanced with every little trick I could find. But forum is dead and it needs new content through another means than a forum or content module... Please check it out and submit your suggestions to this forum topic.. Thanks alot!! Grant

Last edited by grantb on Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total 
grantb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote

search for "troubleshoot fix computer" on many search engines and it comes up as #1 <<personal plug of utmost patheticness.. Razz

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:40 am Reply with quote

Site looks nice. Not sure what interest visitors would have in the manuals and web tools as they aren't directly related to the main purpose of the site, but that shouldn't hurt either. I see that there are forums for Web Sites and Web Servers, but that might be stretching the focus a little thin as the rest of the content appears to be more focused on desktop hardware and software.

The font size is quite large on the main message, which requires more scrolling and that can turn people off. You might want to highlight the forums and downloads on the front page. The last message posted is OK, but it doesn't indicate the breadth of the forums or downloads.

You might also want to look into MS Analysis, Quantcast and / or Google Analytics to get a better picture of what drives visitors to your site and what they're interested in when they get there so you can decide what to focus on or add to the site.

Susann

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote

SEO enhanced isn´t all believe me.
Of course whithout finding your website its hard to fill a forum with members and interesting questions.
How to build communities isn´t a secret but its not always simple. It took 8 long month to push my first "baby" afterthat I got daily 30 new members and couldn´t believe it. Smile
Btw: My site is a non-profit site.
What you can do ? Check your site with different tools and make sure your forum doesn´t produce sids for search engines.
Also think about to register at a real good seo forum and use always your signature. Read and learn about "How to build a community ?"
Change links with other sites.

grantb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.. I think I will reduce the content to a more targeted theme and keep adding new related content. I was thinking of completely starting from scratch but changing and updating the layout I allready have seems to be the better choice at this point. Maybe in the future look at a major revamp of the site. Thanks again for your commments, G

gazj
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote

there is a mod for phpbb that removes sid's for guests and search engines also resort to the good old regular news and info on stuff that relates to what your users/vistors want and offer things they will want hope this helps

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote

ok, does my forum show sid's for anyone??

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quote

I am seeing this: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

I assume you are you using shortlinks, GT-Nextgen, or something similar?

Susann

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:30 am Reply with quote

grantb you only need to go through your logs there you can easily find out what the google bot spidered of your forums files.
With "Spiders Eye" or similar tools you ´ll also recognize sids whenever they are not hidden.
When you have a sid problem search how to get rid of sids.

Good luck !

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:44 am Reply with quote

BTW, if you are using ShortLinks, I need to know where the sid is being shown. That should not be the case. Also, you need to be on the latest BBtoNuke (phpBB) if you are not already - as of this writing, its 2.0.23.

grantb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:32 pm Reply with quote

I forgot that I was using a "if is bot" code to remove the sid's for search bots. For some reason I thought it was working for all users... But I think that sid's are only used when a cookie is not set.
Sorting out the url's generated is more work than I could take. For example, the url for one page could be generated 4 ways www .cyberpcfix.com/modules.php?... cyberpcfix.com/modules.php?... www .cyberpcfix.com/downloads.html.. cyberpcfix.com/downloads.html. Making a sitemap for search engines was next to impossible without spending too much time editing or filtering out the forms of url's that are not wanted in the listing. The robots.txt file is helpfull as long as the bot obeys the robots.txt file at all!

montego

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote

grantb, we are confusing two different things here. With the forums, phpBB does not use PHP sessions, but, instead, can add the &sid to the end. I had taken care of that in ShortLinks long back and so you should not be getting those within the forums, in addition, you need to be the latest 2.0.23.

As soon as you start talking about other things like downloads.html, that is completely different. There should be no &sid because there is no code to produce that. That is only within the Forums. However, if you ARE seeing something like that, your host probably does not have PHP sessions properly configured.

If I were you, from what I've been reading, I'd stick with setting your Preferences and Forums configuration to use the 'www.cyberpcfix.com' and make sure your sitemaps produce the same, then don't worry about it so much. You could even force within your .htaccess everything to start with 'www.' if you really wanted to. There are Apache mod_rewrite tutorials which can show you how.

grantb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:10 pm Reply with quote

Thanks to all that posted on this thread.. It's so nice to see that a forum that I have been using for years is still active with this kind of excellent feedback with users that have a real understanding of the web and all the technical parts that come with having a great site! Cheers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - PHP Nuke

View next topic
View previous topic