Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Post Installation Help
chaoscreator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote

I hope I put this in the correct forum...

First of all, I'd like to say that I love the Raven Nuke program. It's the best CMS I've found thus far.
I'd also like to say that I'm a bit of a newbie at this stuff. I know very little PHP, and have little experience with CMS.
Here's what I'm trying to do:
I'm setting up a site pertaining to several different subjects. I would like to have a menu for each of the categories: occult/witchcraft, paranormal, wickedry, writings, gaming, and computers. I would like to have this navigation menu in the top left block and then have a few modules (search, recommend us, feedback, etc) just below that.
I tried to use the Language Menu Builder add-on, but the instructions aren't very clear, and I could never get the menu to show up in my blocks.
Now, if I can get the menu to work, the links there should point to what I guess would be a static page, with links to sub-sections in each category.
The problem is, I can't figure out how to add in the static pages. These pages will have links to actual content in the CMS.
If anyone could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it, and give you props on my site.

Admin Note: I have moved your post to a more appropriate forum Smile

chaoscreator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:10 am Reply with quote

Thank you!

64bitguy
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:19 am Reply with quote

I think I understand what you are asking, but can you be a tad more specific about a few things. Please clarify (or fix) any of my assumptions below

1) The main page for the domain in question will be running RavenNuke.
2) You want links from the "Navigation" menu (inside RavenNuke) to lead to Static Pages (elsewhere in your domain, or even outside your domain).
3) You have these static pages built.

If this is the case, modifying your menu is fairly simple; however, there are issues relative to how much to put in there. What I mean is, if you put too many links in that main navigation block, it could grow to a huge size (unmanageable, from a user's perspective) very quickly.

The part where the navigation gets sticky is if you want certain permissions established for people to see the navigation links in question (ie.. only registered users see them? Everyone? Subscribers? etc....)

You can also create a new custom block specifically for these Non-RavenNuke based pages and control access to it via the normal admin/blocks menu. (Meaning, if you only wanted registered users to see those links, you'd assign that permission to the block itself. That's always an easy option.

Anyway, please clarify and if possible, give a couple of examples and we'll comment more.

Thanks!

chaoscreator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

1) Yes, the site is completely driven by RN, except, I guess, these few static pages. Although, these pages will contain subcategory blocks that will display the latest content from each of the subcategories, which will be driven also by RavenNuke, and links to view the full archive.
2) I'd like for the navigation links to point to a page within RN, if possible, but if I have to create another file and place it in the same directory, that's not too big a deal.
3) I have the layout, but I haven't built the pages yet. Again, that's no problem.

The navigation will only contain about 6 or 7 links to the static pages, which will have subcategory links.
Only one of the links is for registered users over age 18. Which leads to another issue I will ask about later...

I could build a sample html layout of what I want it to look like, if that would help.

chaoscreator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote

Also, when I disable the modules block, it disables my all of my modules. I have added a few module links to the header navigation that I'm wanting to use instead of the block itself.
Is there a way to avoid this? Could I possibly remove the line(s) of code which call that block? If so, where would I find it?

chaoscreator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:05 pm Reply with quote

Ha! I have figured it all out. Except for one thing: is there a way to add sub-categories to the News sections?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Post Installation Help

View next topic
View previous topic