Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
danny234
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote

When you assign moderators to a forum board what incentive would you give them to overlook your forums, I'm presuming they won't do this for nothing unless they had a part of the website. Do the moderators on this board have some incentive to moderate these boards? Or is it totally voluntary? Just wanted to know for if/when I assign moderators.

Thanks
Danny

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote

It's totally voluntary. We do it because we are interested in being involved in this site - the same is true for other sites I support that have nothing to do with PHP, CMS, or anything technical. If the site is active / popular, most likely potential moderators will emerge - the people who post often and show an interest in the site. When you notice this, you can send a PM inviting them to become a moderator.

Only one rejected my invitation, and another accepted after I explained the role of a moderator: to provide visitors with an identified member to whom they can look to for support, response, etc. Technically, it also means the moderator can remove, edit and move posts, etc., but that's a VERY small part of what a moderator does on an active board.

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote

From my experience most moderators are voluntary and do it because they enjoy helping people with whatever subject the website is about. That is the reason I agreed to become a moderator here. Very Happy

danny234

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote

I understand but what's to say when you assign a moderator that they won't abuse it or do something to your website because they have nothing to lose from there point of view it would feel like I'm doing something for this website but I'm getting nothing back just the priviledge of editing posts etc. I just thought I would get your views on this sice it's what you do on this board.

Danny

64bitguy
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:09 pm Reply with quote

A level of trust exists between the board owner(s) and moderators.

In 99% of my experiences with this, Moderators have a proven their skills at answering questions (subject matter of site in question) and dealing with people.

In the case of Raven's, Moderators are typically invited to participate in that capacity with the caveats of representing the site owner in a courteous manner, professionally and without bias. (Meaning, you wouldn't come here and promote Drupal in every post for example). We're not here for us, we are here for each other and for the users out there, but in my case.... to make something better.

Moderators here bring a variety of skills and experiences to the table and each attempts to answer the questions they can (I mean, not everyone can answer or address every question, though attempts have been made).

Then again, some of us take time off from that work (I was a moderator here until I was chained to a notebook working for the Government). Time dictated that I suspend my roles in that regard; however, I still try to check in when I get time to help (like this week).

In the case of Raven's, this support (sharing of ideas and knowledge) has been going on for years with other people who are experts in Nuke, DB work, phpBB, modules, blocks, themes, etc... all participating. Some participating as official moderators, while others (like me, right now) participating because they can. ("We don't need no stinkin badges").

While Moderators have additional rights on the site, that is only part of the responsibilities entrusted. The real test comes every time you hit reply.

I should mention this isn't an "overnight" thing. Some people posted here for years before being officially invited to moderate.

You yourself can participate simply by replying to someone's question. Everyone is free to do that. The only caveat again being that you treat people the way you would want to be treated (don't go off on anyone), otherwise a Moderator might crack down on you. Smile

In closing, You can get paid to do this? Bang Head

danny234

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for your post 64bitguy, that really helped answer my question alot and yes everyone here does a great job and nothing happens over night but if this board or website wasn't here where would we all be? Nowhere but it is nice to help other people in solving problems and just being good to someone just hope I can trust the right people for my forums when I get that far lol

Thanks for all your input.

Danny

Susann

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote

danny234
When you assign moderators you should trust them. In my opinion 100 %. I never found such guys because I´m very careful with my board and therefore I have a few very good supporters for my forums with over 10.000 members. Thats fun !
You can also use special rank names. So its hard to find out if they are really moderators or not.

danny234

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:20 am Reply with quote

I know what you mean, just when your website grows and more members post on your forums it probably will get abit to much to handle for 1 person it's just finding the right people to trust and as people say watch for the users that help others more than other users. At least we have such nice moderators here Very Happy

Danny

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:25 am Reply with quote

Don't worry, Danny, you will recognize when its "right". Just don't rush into anything. Give them time to prove themselves. It is much like choosing your right mate for marriage... Laughing Anyone can put on a good "face" for a few months to a year, but after awhile, their true colors come out. That is when you really get to know the real "them".

danny234

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:19 am Reply with quote

That is very true, thanks Montego I know you guys and girls :p know what your talking about so I trust what you say. Cheers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic