Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.20.00 - Feedback
oyjord
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote

Hi all,

I love 2.20. I just did a fresh install on a new site, and it works like a charm. I used to use Gallery 2+ for my all my image needs, but I just don't like it. It's a pain to install, it's slow and clunky, and the UI is just too unwieldly for my users.

It's been a while since I checked, but I don't think there's a Gallery 3.0 out there. Are there any easier alternatives to an Image Gallery mod out there?

Thanks,
Oyjord.

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote

No there is no Gallery 3 and if there was they would probably make it even more bloated than Gallery 2. I run Gallery 2 on two sites (one is just a test site). I don't have any complaints about its functioning or find it slow but that depends on your server. It is a pain in the butt to manage though, anyone planning to run it should probably plan on spending as much time on Gallery as they do on the rest of the Nuke site put together. In fact, I was just thinking that the ideal arrangement might be to have one Gallery admin who does nothing but ... and I know that's not realistic for most sites.

oyjord

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I considered to going back to a less bloated Gallery 1, but I've just downloaded a Coppermine (nuke integrated) install and so far so good. It seems faster, but more importantly, perhaps a bit easier for my users to use. We'll see.

Thanks again,
Oyjord.

fkelly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote

You might want to google coppermine and security together and spend 15 minutes reading the results. I'm not saying which way to go but the results are informative. One of the threads Google returns contains a pretty good discussion of Coppermine versus Gallery also.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.20.00 - Feedback

View next topic
View previous topic