Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Modules
catweazle
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:21 am Reply with quote

Im using Firefox (2.0.0.12) - my absolute favorite! Wink
Using IE 7 makes no difference...

I have set everything back to original for now
but will try to find out some more over the weekend...

Gremmie
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:41 pm Reply with quote

Ok, please let me know. I'm very interested in making this work for you.

But you never answered my question. What exactly doesn't work? Are the characters corrupted in *both* the text box and the google "balloon"?

catweazle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:57 pm Reply with quote

Gremmie wrote:
Ok, please let me know. I'm very interested in making this work for you.

But you never answered my question. What exactly doesn't work? Are the characters corrupted in *both* the text box and the google "balloon"?

Thanks Gremmie.
Oops - sorry I forgot to answer that one... Embarassed
Yes, the characters are corrupted in both the textbox and the balloon.

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote

Thanks. It sounds like a charset encoding thing. I'll have to do some googling.

catweazle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:10 pm Reply with quote

This is so very strange:
I have done nothing more to the module since my last message on here - except for leaving the module alone for several hours... Just a few moments ago I decided to give it another try - and all of a sudden everything shows up right!!??

Don't ask me how... 'cause I really don't know. Shocked

All I know is that I have all charsets set to ISO-8859-1 (in both language/lang-norwegian.php and modules/Member_Map/mmap.js) - and the DB field collation is set to latin1_swedish_ci.

I'm gonna have a good nights sleep tonight! Laughing

Oh... - I discovered another problem though:
All text typed into the textbox shows up as one single line in the balloon...

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote

Don't get fkelly started indeed Smile !! I have been so far out of it with company here that I don't know which way is up. But both the GET and POST blockers are in the scripting blocker area of /includes/nukesentinel.php. I believe that if you are an admin these blockers should not be activated. In addition you can turn them off from the NukeSentinel admin panel at least for testing purposes. I just noticed some code that Bob has put into the latest nukesentinel.php and it looks like it will email you if the blocker criteria are met rather than block the post string and the user posting it. I haven't tried it.

You should be able to tell from the blocked ip reports whether the blocks are based on a get or a post. Looking further I see that back in November Raven added code to exclude Forums and Private Messages from the POST blocking. You could probably add the Maps module name to his list of exemptions without much difficulty.

Longer term, yeah, don't get me started. Smile

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote

catweazle, glad it is working now, but wow that is weird...! Yes, I noticed that all the text appears on one line as well. I should probably add a nl2br() call on the text. I'll try that out for the next version.

fkelly, all my blocking problems went away when I switched to post. It's probably better that I use post anyway, since I am sending the contents of a textarea back to the server.

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:02 am Reply with quote

Gremmie, the member map module is working great. Very Happy

I don't know if you are planning to add any additional features, but here are a few thoughts, just in case you find yourself at a loose end. Wink

It would be good if users/admins could add additional pins, which are not user related, for instance indicating a football stadium, or something else of interest. If these were searchable and viewable to non-registered users even better.

Is it possible to change the default view to satellite, or hybrid.

Also it would be nice to have the ability to position pins by picking the location on screen.

jakec

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:20 am Reply with quote

I've just had another idea. Link it with your calender, so when someone specifies a location in the calender there is clickable link to the location on the map.

Sorry I'm getting carried away now. Very Happy

Gremmie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:03 am Reply with quote

All good ideas, it's just a matter of finding the time! The next logical step is to let people have more than one "pin", and then have categories for the pins (and different colors). It was really just a trial balloon module, just to see if I could interact with Google maps in a simple way. All kinds of interesting things are possible now...

Someone today sent me a Portuguese language translation, so that's a good sign!

Thanks!

jakec

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote

There definitely seems to be a lot of interest. Keep up the good work. Very Happy

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote

VirtualWar found a problem with the module when using it with themes that have dark backgrounds and white text: the message text doesn't show up on the white Google balloon. I have posted a temporary fix on the Wiki page for the site. This will be corrected "properly" in the next release. Smile
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote

I think I need to replace new lines with <br>'s...someone posted something that broke the javascript. A fix should be out soon.

fkelly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:42 am Reply with quote

Just a note. On my "production" system I have a membership database that includes street addresses for the members. It is a little convoluted but I was able to write a query that extracted that data to a text file and then manipulated it (thru Excel mostly) into a CSV that could be imported into the member maps database table.

One site that I found that would geocode the data was:

http://www.batchgeocode.com

You can find instructions there. Sorry, I don't have time to post more detailed instructions but it is possible. I got about 300+ addresses added that way on my site. It took about an hour or two.

krustymk
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote

HI, i have a little problem ... always one lol Smile
Im pretty sure i followed the installation instructions correctly but when i click the member map icon in the admin section i just get a blank white page.
I'm at the stage where i need to enter the google maps API.
On the install, after running the script everything reported ok
Any ideas?
Thanks guys

krustymk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote

Fear not i have found the problem
my server is running PHP4 as default and needs a
'AddType x-mapp-php5 .php' without the quotes
placing in the .htaccess file to enable PHP5
Ive replied to my own question in case anyone else has the problem and is not as clever as me hahaha (joking)
Im entering my API now and proper excited Very Happy
A proper big thanks for developing this stunning module. worship

krustymk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:41 am Reply with quote

Ive had to use the fix for dark themes (fiblack3d) but this doesnt fix the black text in some places on a black background, or dark grey text box
Iv'e fixed these myself on a couple of other modules/blocks (welll.... i use fix in the loosest sense of the word because what i know about PHP you could write on a knats bollock. but ive done some C++ years ago so i can figure some bits out) but if anyone knows of the top of their head what to change, ill let you be my knight in shining armour (no kiss for the prince though!! sick puppies lol)
Every bit as good as i thought it would be Cheers

krustymk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote

I love you guys (wipes a tear)

Gremmie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote

Thanks krustymk. Since I don't use dark themes I haven't run into the problems you are seeing. If you post a link to your site (or PM me) I could take a look and see what needs to be done.

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:10 pm Reply with quote

I have enabled Subversion (SVN) on the sourceforge page. Furthermore I have checked in two important bug fixes into SVN (the dark theme bug and the newline breaks javascript bug). Head on over to the sourceforge page for Member_Map for the latest code and support.
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

fkelly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote

I was taking a look at this module today. We have a requirement to map something other than users ... actually locations where various art is located throughout a city. I was thinking maybe the module could be modified to access a table other than nuke_users. It looks like the core table here is memap_user which is then tied to _user via the user_id. So, if we used something other than _user we'd have to have a linkage between memap_user and _whatever_else.

I can see this would get a bit complicated and probably would defeat the purpose of the member_map module. I'm just looking for advice and almost leaning towards the conclusion that it would be better to just put in a link to Google Maps. Does anyone know if you can save locations somewhere in Google Maps so that everyone who goes to a single link there will see the same saved locations and descriptions?

Gremmie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote

fkelly wrote:
Does anyone know if you can save locations somewhere in Google Maps so that everyone who goes to a single link there will see the same saved locations and descriptions?

fkelly, yes, you can do that. Log into your google account, go to maps, then click the "My Maps" link. You can then create your own map and save it. You can then embed that on a web page by clicking the "Link" link in the upper right. A thing will drop down with the iframe embed code and a direct link you can give people. Pretty neat!

fkelly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote

Yes, and thank you Gremmie. I have that working ... your suggestion. Much appreciated.

fkelly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:37 pm Reply with quote

Oops. spoke too soon. The iframe is getting eaten by the wysiwyg editor when I try to paste it in. I will put the editor text box in source mode and paste in the iframe code that Google generates and go out of source mode and the code is gone. I am guessing that it's not part of allowablehtml? Is there any risk in enabling iframes?

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote

Hmmm...I thought that when you were logged in as admin it would allow any HTML (of course you have to have the editor in source mode also).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Modules

View next topic
View previous topic