Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
Susann

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:52 am Reply with quote

Quess its only my problem but could the INSTALLATION folder e.g. from RavenNuke also be renamed to INSTALLATION directory and translated as directory or would this be wrong.
I know a directory is a directory and can contain folders.
And a folder can contain a lot of folders and files.

Gremmie
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote

In English we often use folder and directory interchangeably.

Susann

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote

I believe whenever guys talk about folders,subfolders, directories or subdirectories most of the time its not exactly described because its interchangeable.
I would prefer wherever possible to use "Installationsverzeichnis" instead of "Installationsordner" which sounds more or less unusual.
Search on google Gremmie, you will notice Installation directory and Installationsverzeichnis are the winner with the most search results in both language. Smile

catweazle
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote

A very interresting subject...

I have been working with computer for quite some time (from day one so to speak), and I vill explain the terms DIRECTORY and FOLDER this way:

Back in the old days when we used DOS and Linux (only text based OS'es) we were not able to "see the harddisk". We thought of the harddisk itself as the root directory, and used the command "mkdir blablabla" to make new directories and subdirectories (mkdir= make directory).

Later on when we got OS'es with GUI's - which made us sort of able to actually "see" the harddisk. GUI's were constantly enhanced and it didn't take long till the DIRECTORIES got a small image (a folder image) in front of the directory name. Thereby it became natural to call the directory a FOLDER.

I would say that today most people use the term FOLDER - whilst DIRECTORY in fact is the REAL name! Wink

Therefore I'll have to give my vote to Susann Exclamation Very Happy Very Happy

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote

I wasn't picking sides, I'm just saying that in English, the two are used interchangeably. I really am not sure what Susann is asking.

Me, I'm a hardcore command line guy. They will always be known as directories to me.

catweazle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote

Susann want to have all occurrences of the word "Installationsordner" (within the German language files) to be replaced by "Installationsverzeichnis".

Using two different words for the same meaning is very confusing to many of the German users...

"Installationsverzeichnis" is also the most used one and therefore most logical to use.

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:11 am Reply with quote

Did someone mention 'language files' ?
Susann, if you want to send me the updated files I'll take care of it.
Technically 'directory' is the correct term IMHO but what matters most in this instance is having the same teminology used throughout to avoid confusion.

Susann

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:26 am Reply with quote

Catweazle thanks ! I believe only we both know exactly what I´m talking about and I agree:
Quote:

I would say that today most people use the term FOLDER - whilst DIRECTORY in fact is the REAL name! Wink

Guardian I updated two of the German lang files and will send both to you after the Mantis entry is closed.

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote

I see...yes by all means send the changes. Its best to have native German speakers provide the German translations!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic