Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> phpnuke 6.5
dad7732
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:34 am Reply with quote

Before I ask, just want to say THANKS to everyone here for the kind responses in the past. I made a nice cash donation a while back as a thank-you!!

I am the owner of [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] and been running with PHPNuke 6.5 with "Mister's" Protector Module. It is very old and very vulnerable - we were hacked yesterday for the first time but recovered.

I need to know or pointed in the right direction as to the easiest method to upgrade to the latest RN with Sentinel. I already run two other sites with RN and it is simply the greatest. So, I need some upgrade advice and I need to be able to keep what I have on the UFAQ site without losing forum posts, etc.

THANKS !!! Jay

Susann

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:14 am Reply with quote

You need to check the HowToInstall of RavenNuke and there upgrading.
I believe its very simple to switch over from 6.5 to RavenNuke. There is nothing special with.

Its possible that very old modules will not work correct. So I personally decided to remove a few old modules.
Make sure you have also no old files on your server because this could cause conflicts e.g. with the new captcha.
Maybe try it with Xampp. I upgraded in place and used an other fresh install of RavenNuke + MySqlDiff to bring my database up to date.
DonĀ“t forge to backup all your files and database.

Check also this:
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Hope this helps !

Last edited by Susann on Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total 
Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:19 am Reply with quote

I would suggest you download the package and go through the 'HowToInstall' files and this should give you all the information you nedd.
If after reading that and there are any specific things you need clarification on, we are always here to help.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:26 am Reply with quote

Sorry Susann, you must have posted while I was still typing Smile

dad7732

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:26 pm Reply with quote

Thanks to the both of you, will peruse the HowTo ... One question at the moment, do I need to uninstall Protector first, will there be a conflict if I upgrade over it or simply replaced?

Thanks, Jay

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:19 pm Reply with quote

It's probably best to remove it, just in case. Sentinel will do the job once you are fully up and running.

dad7732

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote

>> Sentinel will do the job once you are fully up and running.

Oh yes, I am very familiar with Sentinel as I run RN on two other sites. The UFAQ has been up since 1998 and we started with Protector the day it was introduced. Great product but it's history now that support/upgrades are no longer available for quite sometime now. Upgrading is rather scary as we're still on 6.5 and I can't afford to lose data, etc. However, even if I have to start over, it's not really that critical except for the FAQ's gathered over the years. And I am a very strong proponent of "Make A Backup" !!! Thanks

jakec

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote

Cool, you can always run a test upgrade on XAMPP.

dad7732

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote

Funny you mention that as I have been wanting to install XAMPP. Good time to stop thinking about it and do it .. thanks .. Jay

Gremmie
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote

XAMPP is highly, highly recommended. You won't ever want to try anything without it ever again. Wink

dad7732

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote

XAMPP is nice but the UFAQ db is over 100 mb and the local PHPMyAdmin will only import 32 mb. Some serious db manipulation will have to occur. I even tried BigDump to split the import but nada, no go. I'll probably just go for a backup and do the migration. Starting more or less over from scratch in case of disaster isn't a big deal as long as the data is backed up first, easy enough to restore. ANYthing beats being "hacked". The bummer with this hack was that the "kiddie" used admin_mass_emailer.php to let about 50 of my 3,000+ user base know of his success ... Sad

Just once, only once before I stop breathing air would I like nothing better than to wring the neck of one of those kiddies. Smile

Jay

Gremmie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote

Well, bigdump should easily import that amount of data. My database is well over that size.

XAMPP also comes with the command line mysql program. Its super easy to import data with that.

mysql --user=xxx --password=zzz databasename < mydump.sql

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> phpnuke 6.5

View next topic
View previous topic