Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.20.00 - All Issues
virtualwar
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote

Ok.. I have been fooling around w/ 2.20... awesome. I love it. Here's the deal:

When i upload a my own avatars via ftp (or the like) to the Forums/Images/avatars folder and try to use them within nuke, it gives me this error:

There was an error when we tried to save your Avatar: Wrong avatar format! Avatars can only be gif, jpg, or png format.

Now, when i use the default gallery that came w/ RN 2.20, the images work. When i put the images in the default "gallery" folder, they work. When i put them in different folders (example: gallery1of9, gallery2of9, etc), I can "see" the avatars when i select the appropriate folder, but when i click on the image, that above error is generated. Also, when i rename gallery1of9 to gallerys (plural), the images generate that error still.

When i was testing out RN 2.1, this error never generated, and all was well.

A bug maybe? What do you all think? Try it out!! =P

~VirtualWar

Edit:

It is a fresh install of RN 2.2... not an upgrade.
Apache version 1.3.37 (Unix)
PHP version 5.0.5
MySQL version 5.0.45-community-log
Architecture i686
Operating system Linux

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gremmie
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote

When I try to upload an avatar through the forum profile it works on my local install. Do you have the right permissions on that directory?

You say upload via FTP and then "use them within nuke"...what exactly does that mean? Are you trying to create your own avatar gallery or just upload via forum profile?

virtualwar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quote

Ah, sorry. I should clarify more...

I CAN upload an avatar through the "upload your own avatar" area within the forums and such.

When i try to create my own galleries on the file side, the problem occurs. For example... for talking purposes lets say i have 1000 avatars i want users to be able to use. Well, lets say i break them into 10 folders--naming those folders gallery1of10, gallery2of10, etc. Then i put 250 avatars in each folder. When a user goes to select their own avatar they are able to see the new galleries that i created on the user side (in the My Profile) spot.... But when they click on one of the avatars that are in the newly created galleries, they get that error above. Also, i tried multiple troubleshooting/bug finding processes that are posted in the first post.

Permissions are all correct. One thing to note, i was able to do this easily with this same avatar collection when i was making my test site w/ RN 2.10. So something changed. Though, i'm not sure what.

Gremmie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote

Well we did fix a bug in this area so we may have broken something else. I will try to reproduce this.

Gremmie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote

Please tell me what your Avatar Gallery Path is in your forum config.

virtualwar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quote

modules/Forums/images/avatars is "Avatar Gallery Path "...

The default gallery is in modules/Forums/images/avatars/gallery (works fine)

Others tried:
modules/Forums/images/avatars/gallery1of10 (not working)
modules/Forums/images/avatars/gallerys (not working)

Keep in mind, i CAN see these avatars on the user side.. and see the galleries, but when one of the avatars are clicked that error is generated.

Gremmie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote

Try this.

Set your Avatar Storage Path to modules/Forums/images/avatars
Set your Avatar Gallery Path to modules/Forums/images/avatar/gallery

Then create your gallery paths like this:

modules/Forums/images/avatars/gallery1
modules/Forums/images/avatars/gallery2

That worked for me here on my local install.

Gremmie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:44 pm Reply with quote

If that doesn't work, hover your mouse over one of the avatars that you are trying to pick, but if you do, you get the error. Look in your browser bar or just copy the link the avatar has. Mine looks like this:
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

I need to see what link is getting generated (if the above didn't work). Thanks.

virtualwar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote

Ok... So it looks like i found something.

I am ABLE to click the avatar and use it through the Forums "profile" screen.
I am NOT ABLE to click the avatar and use it through the normal Your Account --> Your Info without generating that error.

Also, i discovered that the forum "profile" screen is properly looking in the "Avatar Gallery Path." When i change the path to /avatars/gallery then put a gallery1 IN /avatars/gallery the "profile" way DOES recognize the gallery. The "Your Info" way to see the gallery does NOT see the gallery. It is stuck on the default /avatars path.

For example: Lets say i change the forum settings to read the Avatar Gallery Path from modules/Forums/images/avatar to modules/Forums/images/avatar/gallery. Also lets say i put gallery1 in the /avatar/gallery root and i ALSO put a gallery2 in the /avatar root. With this configuration, the forums "profile" way to change the avatar will ONLY recognize the gallery1 gallery (which i assume is the correct thing it should do), but the "Your Info" way to change your avatar will only recognize the gallery2.

My uneducated guess tells me that something isn't pointing correctly.

I didn't know this before, but selecting an avatar from ANY gallery (whether it was the original gallery that comes w/ RN or a new on i created) through the "profile" screen DOES work. It seem like the issue is only with the "Your Info" way to do it.

Anyways, am just helping find a bug. Maybe there is some random corrupt file somewhere on my server. Regardless, i am not going to even use a gallery... I am allowing users to upload their own =P

Would just feel good if i could find the root cause <.<

=)

~VirtualWar

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:09 am Reply with quote

VirtualWar wrote:
Would just feel good if i could find the root cause

Together we shall prevail Wink

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:55 am Reply with quote

What are the filenames of your avatars?

Have you got shortlinks turned on?

Gremmie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:02 am Reply with quote

virtualwar, it does appear on first glance that the avatar gallery path is hard coded in Your_Account (instead of respecting the forums configuration setting). I'll write a ticket on this in our issue tracking system.

virtualwar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote

jakec wrote:
What are the filenames of your avatars?

Have you got shortlinks turned on?

the filenames range anything between 01.jpg (example) to icon_happy.gif to laskfj832lafsd.jpg.

Also, shortlinks ARE turned on.

jakec

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote

There was a previous problem that Montego was looking into, it may be related.

It was in relation to a problem with filenames of avatars, which used underscores and hyphens etc. when shortlinks was turned on.

See here: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

virtualwar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote

jakec wrote:
There was a previous problem that Montego was looking into, it may be related.

It was in relation to a problem with filenames of avatars, which used underscores and hyphens etc. when shortlinks was turned on.

See here: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Though it "could" be related, i do not notice any similarities in the behavior these errors are occurring (having dashes in a file name works fine when selecting an avatar in the "profile" screen...). =/

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:18 am Reply with quote

jakec - yes but I beleive Montego took care of that but it was good to be reminded of it as I had forgotten about that.
virtualwar - There has always been a problem due to the integration of the forums between avatar settings in Your Account or via the Forums Profile which is why we have always recommended that the forums profile should be the only one use for setting up avatars etc.
As Gremmie mentioned, the avatar path is hard coded in Your Account and ignores the preferences set in the forums configuration if you change them from the default settings.

I know we (The Team) have discussed this sort of problem before but put it off due to wanting to revamp the whole Your Account side of things to tighten the integration more, rather than just patch it piecemeal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.20.00 - All Issues

View next topic
View previous topic