Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Installation Help
wrecit
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote

How do I go about weeding out unneeded moduals from a Nuke program.

For example if I did not have a need for an encylopedia or AdventGo modual can I just deleate the folder from the modual folder? Would I be creating security holes by just deleating moduals?

I am trying to lighten my up load file to just what I need to run the site but do not want to mess things up. In the past I just let them lie dormant but it seams like a waste of server space.

Gremmie
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote

For newer modules you can just delete the folder under the modules directory. That will still leave the admin panel graphic behind, but that isn't very big.

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:40 pm Reply with quote

There are some subtle and deep lying relations between modules that could produce unintended effects in some cases. As far as I know you would be okay deleting the two modules you mentioned but in other cases one module or the core can call another and cause an error if it's gone

If you are looking to lighten your load you might start with unneeded language files. Using Windows Explorer just do a search on lang-*.php, get them all lined up in an Explorer search block and then block and delete the ones you don't want. From a number of files perspective you will get a lot better bang for your buck that way than by deleting a few modules.

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote

Sure, you don't want to delete Your_Account for example. Smile

fkelly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote

Rofl, yeah you are right Gremmie. I wish I could recall some other examples but there are some that are much more subtle and would come back to bite you. Well heck, as I say that I am recalling some and they aren't even that subtle. If you delete a user from your account it will try to delete his/her private messages. So if that module (and tables) aren't on the system the least you will get is a SQL error. Likewise, you could say "well I use my Cpanel statistics, not Nuke's so I'll delete that". Well it might seem like you are getting away with it but behind the scenes, on every page load the statistics tables are still being updated. You just don't have a module that will report on them any more.

I think, in general, it would be great to be able to delete unnecessary modules. But we need some kind of relationship mapping in the code before we recommend this for widespread use.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:45 am Reply with quote

The ones that I would not remove would be: Forums, Private_Messages, Members_List, News, Search, NukeSentinel, Submit_News (maybe this could be removed if only an admin is to create new articles) and Your_Account. I think these all have some tie-ins with other core files or across modules.

Of course, I would test, test, test before removing anything else, as the above is only an educated guess.

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:08 am Reply with quote

Table relationship mapping - now there's an idea Smile

fkelly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote

Here's another example I just thought of. I'm not trying to discourage this by the way, just make sure it is thought through. When you go into authors.php it displays each admin you have created for you site and it checks the modules table for a field called admin to see if a given author has administrative rights over the module. (This is for admins who are not superadmins). So maybe you created an admin to manage your encylopedia. That's all he or she was going to do. Now you delete the encyclopedia module and modules.php sees that module is not there and deletes the encyclopedia record. Now that admin ... well I don't know what would happen ... but at best he'd be "stranded" as an admin with nothing to do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Installation Help

View next topic
View previous topic