Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Modules
janeuk
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:41 pm Reply with quote

Hi,
I have been trying to work out how to get the date and time display right in the Forum, it is 10 hours ahead of my time. I am using Ravennuke 2.10, Anagram theme, and subSilver Forum theme. I have read quite a few posts in various forums searching for the answer, but nothing has been conclusive. One post suggested changing the time in the database in nuke_users timezones, which I tried but it didn't seem to do anything certainly not in the forum. I have set the preferences in admin to en_GB, and in the actual forum configuration, I wasn't really sure what to set that to, but have tried GMT, GMT-5 and even GMT+5. My server is 5 hours behind my local UK time. Please can anyone tell me what files I would need to make changes in for the forum time and date and how to do it? The main part of the site is fine, its just the forum I am having a problem with.

Thanks for any help Smile
Jane

Gremmie
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:11 pm Reply with quote

In your admin panel, under forums, go into Configuration. Set the System Timezone to be the same as your server (GMT-5 ?).

Then each user will have to go into Your_Account, Your_Info and set the Forums Timezone to be whatever their local time is (for you, GMT+0???).

janeuk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, but I had already tried that and it doesn't make any changes at all.

Gremmie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote

Weird, that works for me.

janeuk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote

Anymore thoughts out there about this problem, as I still haven't managed to work it out. There is one thing I've noticed since posting, is that when I am not logged in to the system, it displays the right time and date in the forum but as soon as I logged in, it switched to being 10 hours ahead again.

Thanks for any help Smile
Jane

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quote

Each user is responsible for setting their own time. That way different users in different timezones have complete control over their post times.

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:46 am Reply with quote

janeuk wrote:
There is one thing I've noticed since posting, is that when I am not logged in to the system, it displays the right time and date in the forum

Define right time...right time for you or for the server?

janeuk wrote:

but as soon as I logged in, it switched to being 10 hours ahead again.

Again, I don't have any advice other than what I offered above. Find out from your host what timezone your server is actually in. If you are using RavenNuke, the UserInfo block will tell you this. Then set your admin panel/Forums/Config timezone to this.

Then in your user account (make sure you are logged in as a user and not just God), go into your account/Your info and set your local timezone.

I've never seen this not work with RavenNuke so hopefully you just have a wrong setting. Here in the US with our crazy daylight savings time system, I get an hour off sometimes, but it does work once you get the settings correct. Good luck!!!

If for some reason you think your server time is lying to you, just set your timezone in your account/your info, and then start tweaking the timezone in admin panel/forums/config until it looks right for your non-God user.

Raven

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:42 am Reply with quote

Janeuk,

Just for clarification the way that nuke, phpbb, and most other applications are designed is that when you log in anonymously you will see the time based upon the application's global settings. Then when you are logged on as a registered user you have the option of setting the time based upon your preferences through a user panel of some sort.

janeuk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:31 am Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies, what you said Raven solved the problem! I realise now that I was logged in as both admin and a user, I altered the settings in the admin, but I was viewing the main system as a user, and never thought of changing the settings in the users panel which was set for 10 hours ahead, its all ok now Smile Thanks!

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:54 am Reply with quote

Cool! Yeah I forget about that all the time. It helps if you look at your site in one browser (say IE or Opera) as a normal user, and then as admin/God in another browser (say Firefox).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Modules

View next topic
View previous topic