Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Post Installation Help
janeuk
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

I set up my site mainly creating Content module pages, they pass the W3C compliancy test, but when I changed the Message on the Home page using the same kind of html that I used for the Content pages, it has many W3C errors, and although I managed to correct many of the errors, I can't get the Messages page in admin to accept &amp; which is a change the W3C validator shows needs to be done, it literally disappears after I try to make the change and there is another problem with the W3C validator not liking my centering <center></center> saying it isn't allowed. As I like simple solutions best - lack of coding knowledge Smile I am wondering if its possible to make a Content Module page as the main index/home page instead of the Messages.

Thanks for any help!
Jane

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:55 am Reply with quote

Unfortunately you can only have one module on the homepage at a time and I assume you have news set to the homepage currently?

Therefore it is possible to have the content module on your homepage, but not with the News module as well. Although it might be possible to hack the code to have two modules on the homepage.

It might be easier to make the code in the messages module compliant, but without seeing the code it is difficult for us to help.

What version of Nuke are you using?

If you are using RN are you using the WYSIWYG editor?

warren-the-ape
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:29 am Reply with quote

Well validating is nice but dont stare yourself blind on it Wink Its just a tool nothing more nothing less.

Characters like &amp; should be saved when entered in the 'html' box within the tinymce editor.

And nope the <center> tag isnt allowed according to the 4.0 W3C specification, they advice you to use CSS (styles) for it, in this case text-align.

You can already use something like; <div align="center">content</div> to center your content

What i did for my Administration News page is disable the tinymce editor, that way it wont strip out extra tags/styles.
When disabled you could use something like; <div style="text-align:center">content</div>

Better would be to specify classes or id's and move all lay-out to your css file (if you are a standards compliance purist Cool)

Do you always want to center those stories btw?
If so, it would be easier to edit your theme and include the text alignment setting in the css of your theme.

Edit: Isnt there already a 'center' button within the editor, or am i missing something here?

janeuk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:13 am Reply with quote

Hi,
Yes there is something missing - I don't have the editor enabled, I had to disable it when I had problems getting it to accept my pre-written html content pages as they were, it kept changing position of text etc. on its own accord. I was using copies that were created when I was using Ravennuke 2.02 version, and just assumed it would be a straight transfer but it wasn't. Thanks for your help with this, I will have a go at re-writing the page now Smile

jakec

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:03 am Reply with quote

RN 2.10.01 comes with the newer WYSIWYG editor, and appears to produce more compliant HTML code and even corrects errors in previous stories which were produced using the old editor

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote

Just a quick side note: the <center> tag is still allowed in HTML 4.01 Transitional and XHTML 1.0 Transitional and is still used throughout even RavenNuke (from its PHP-Nuke roots).

warren-the-ape

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:56 am Reply with quote

Mjah its 'allowed' within the loose and transitional dtd's but its still deprecated.
In these days there are far superior solutions, like CSS for example. An element like this shouldnt be added voluntarily, we are not living in 1997 any longer Wink

montego

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:59 am Reply with quote

Agreed. Just stating fact and highlighting that RN is still only "Transitional".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Post Installation Help

View next topic
View previous topic