Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Seeking applications ...
salongaopm
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:37 pm Reply with quote

Hi!

Can anyone suggest an application/module where I can add custom fields on Registration or Your Account/Personal Info? Below are what I want added/ to see on Your Account/Personal Info:

1. Last Name
2. First Name
3. Two fields that must be date formatted
4. One field that can take text input
4. Present Employer/Employment
5. Present Location/Address

All the above fields must be required either on registration or upon initial login.

Also, Last Name and Present Location/Address can be sorted.

Below is what I have:

Raven 2.10
Forum activated (included witn raven 2.10)
Gallery2 2.2.1 Integrated

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:07 am Reply with quote

Sounds like you need something like the Approve Membership module, or CNBYA.

Both have been discussed before in these forums, so if you do a search you should find the answer. Wink

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:27 am Reply with quote

The problem with Approve Membership (full version, with the "added field" capability) right now is that there is not a 2.10.x version. I believe Ken is working on it, from a forum post I saw on his site, but not sure where he is with that at the moment.

salongaopm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote

Thank you guys for the response. I've been reading lately about the suggested modules. It seems that my only option at this time is CNBYA. The Approve Membership(full version) is not a tried 2.10.x version compatible as stated by montego. I am still not sure though if the CNBYA will do all the things I want done. I wish I can see one in action...an installed one that I could check. If there is no example that I can view....I guess, I just have to try to install it and see how it work. Hopefully, it is something that can easily be installed and deactived/uninstalled if needed.

If anyone can show me a link to site that uses one...please....I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again guys!

emmaphp
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:30 am Reply with quote

Hi salongaopm,

I too need what you have been discussing here.

Specifically, when they sign up to use my website, I need to collect data from competition entrants, (such as address, telephone number, age, etc).

Did you find a solution to this?

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote

The Add Fields mod that comes with Approve Membership should do that

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
montego

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:00 am Reply with quote

Yes, it does, but we have changed so much in Your Account (including a table change), that one cannot just take the replacement files and overwrite. RavenNuke would no longer work properly without some code fixing.

emmaphp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:09 am Reply with quote

Hi evaders99 & montego,

Thanks for the speedy reply to my previous posting on theis topic.

The information you both give is slightly conflicting, because evaders response suggests it should be simple, while montegos indicates otherwise.

Please would you confirm what is required for me to proceed installing Approve Membership with my new website that is using RavenNuke.

Moreover please would you advise of the exact URL/Downoad where the correct version of Approve Membership required can be obtained.

Thanks again in advance and happy holidays.

Cheers

jakec

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote

I'm not sure Evaders said it would be easy. AM does allow fields to be added, but as Montego said the changes in RN do mean that it will not work out of the box for RN.

The author of AM was working on an RN version, but it does appear to have stalled.

The authors website is: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

A gentle nudge in his forum can't do any harm. Wink

emmaphp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote

Thanks Jakec,

I will check out the link you provided, however details of the exact URL/Downoad where the correct/BEST version of Approve Membership required for use with Raven Nuke can be obtained.

I do realise it may not work straight away or be straight forward to install, but I would still appreciate someone telling me which version I should be working with and what the URL to download it from is exactly?

jakec

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:47 am Reply with quote

AM for phpNuke 7.6 would probably be the closet match to RN, because that is where RN originated from and it can be found in the downloads section under Current Versions.

montego

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:00 am Reply with quote

emmaphp/jakec, I hate to beat a dead horse, but there is NO Approve Membership Module, with the Added Fields, that will work with RavenNuke without considerable work. It will NOT be easy:

1. Ken hasn't produced a version for RN AFAIK and he normally provides replacement files.

2. The code in the RN Your Account module and others has now changed significantly from 7.6, so it will make merging / rationalizing very difficult.

3. We have made a change to the user temp table which will require you to make the inserts work properly.

The bottom line is right now, there is NO replacement for Your Account for RN that you can just drop in.

Do this at your own risk.

emmaphp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:43 am Reply with quote

Hi again Jakec & Montego,

After reading Montegos last comment explaining 'Do this at your own risk', I am wondering if there may be a better solution to what I require?

Is there another (alternative) module that is recommended and will allow me to request additional information from users signing up to my website, by allowing me to create further fields, (such as telephone number, date of birth, etc), to be created for the sign up page/process?

To confirm, I am using the latest version of Raven Nuke.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote

There are a few basic approaches to this issue that I will discuss. None of the three given contain every little detail that may be involved but if you can understand the approach and aren't afraid of looking under the hood Wink you should not really have any big problems.

One is simply adding a second table that you set up as a separate module or even on the same screen as the other one. You store the data in the separate table and then for any screen that you need it displayed you add the call to the new table and add the fields to the screen and an update routine just like calls that are being made to the other one.

In other words, let's say you need to add the fields to the Your Account Info module. At present the fields for that function is stored in the nuke_users table. You would create a second table and let's call it nuke_users_addnl. The table will contain a key field the same as the key field in the nuke_users table which is user_id. Then the new table would contain the new fields you need to track. That takes care of where the data are stored.

Now the how to access and update the new table. Find all the instances in modules/Your_Account/index.php where the USERS table is referenced. You will only need to replicate the code that USERS uses if you need to do the same operation(s) on USERS_ADDNL. These functions would include how the fields are displayed and when they are updated.

A second approach involves adding the new fields to the end of the USERS table. Then you would still analyze all calls to the USERS table and add the fields to the end of any sql calls that need to access those additional fields.

A third is kind of a hybrid of the two other ones. You duplicate the Your_Account module and use it as your additional fields entry and storage mechanism. You can either use the same USERS table with the fields added (as in #2 above) or use a stand alone table (as in #1 above).

As with all things there are pros/cons but it is really not as difficult as it sounds. Some good background reading before embarking on any of this would be:

Modifying the Your_Account Module
Creating Modules
Duplicating Modules

These solutions may sound difficult but they really aren't if you just take your time and carefully follow the instructions above. If you run into issues you can always ask for more help Smile

emmaphp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote

Raven and everyone,

Thank you for your replies to this topic and issue.

I used to run a site with Nuke 7.6 and as a past user of CNBYA, (which I see mentioned at the top of this topic), I am also wondering if a version of CNBYA is now available for Raven Nuke. If so, please would someone direct me to the exact URL for downloading this.

Thanks.

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote

Sorry to jump in late on this, but, as with Approve Membership, the last version of CNBYA (4.4.2) won't work with RN out of the box. I've been following (and testing) the beta versions of CNBYA 5.0, the latest of which had some significant issues outstanding and again, hasn't been tested with RN. Also, the last beta version I received was over 1 year ago, so I wouldn't hold my breath for the next release.

emmaphp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:15 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for that Kguske,

So summarising, it appears we must use the lesser of 2 evils right now as an approach to customising the signing up process for users.

What would you recommend as the best option out of all this?

montego

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:10 am Reply with quote

To be quite honest, if you are unwilling or unable to change the PHP code, right now, there is NO solution that I am aware of that will work straight up with RavenNuke 2.10.x ATM.

The lesser of two evils might be to take what you are familiar with, CNBYA 4.4.2, and modify it to work with 2.10.x.

I do not have the "exact URL" to give you, but if you look up user fade2grey, I believe his/her username was referenced recently in terms of 4.4.2 for RavenNuke AND using the new Captcha. You are going to have to search the forums here for it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Seeking applications ...

View next topic
View previous topic