Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Installation Help
express
Client

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote

Hi again,

I am at the step in the HowToInstall called Configuring Nuke Sentinel. In the drop down box I have the choice of off or CGI AdminAuth. The next set of instructions on how to deal with this are clear and I think I can follow them except for the first step.
The first step says,
Quote:
Change your permissions on both .htaccess and .staccess to 777.
How and where do I do this?
Thanks,
Express
ps

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quote

You can usually do this in your FTP software, or in most control panels, like cPanel.

express

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote

I need new glasses. These bifocals just are not cutting it anymore. Yesterday I looked and looked and couldn't see where to do it. Now after reading your reply I opened up CPanel, clicked on File Manager, and there at the top middle staring me in the face was the icon of a key with the words Change Permissions right below it.
Sheeesh.....Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees.

My new sig should be

Blind in one eye, and can't see too good out the other.......
Express

ps, found and installed the perfect avatar Laughing

express

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:26 pm Reply with quote

This just keeps getting better. I went to Cpanel/FileManager and selected both .htaccess and .staccess and switched permission to 777. I then proceeded to access my admin.php thru my url to continue to the next step of the instructions in the HowToInstall manual. I was then asked for password and tried every password that I have used for RN and nothing. I gave up, closed everything and went and had a bite. Now I try to access my Cpanel and it says it's not available. I also cannot now enter my site. Is there a problem with my Cpanel?
What to do now?
Sometimes I feel like I'm disabling a bomb while reading instructions when you get to the part that says cut the blue wire, then you turn the page and it says.....But not until you have removed the blasting caps..........
Frustrated but not giving in to the darkside.
Anyone who has an idea what to do next, I'd appreciate hearing it.
Express

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:12 pm Reply with quote

Can you use ftp to edit the htaccess and rename the ftaccess? That should get you back in ... just make htaccess blank to start with.

The instructions that I think you are referring to are a little convoluted because the process itself is a little convoluted. I would suggest printing them and making yourself a little checklist and then doing them EXACTLY in the order that they are listed. There are times when it seems like you are doubling back on yourself but that's the sequence you have to follow. Your analogy is apt except that the instructions do say to remove the blasting caps first IF YOU READ THEM CAREFULLY.

express

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote

I tried ftp and no dice. Will not connect to site.

I thought I have and did read the instructions carefully. Here is the steps that I was on. Apparently I was in the smaller group of users because the only options I had in the drop down box was either off or CGI Auth. This is right from the HowToInstall file in the section about configuring NS.

Should you find yourself in the smaller group of users that require CGI Auth (as we call it), following these instructions to use and activate CGI Auth (HTTP Authentication using .htaccess and .staccess):

1. Change your permissions on both .htaccess and .staccess to 777.

2. Place the paths to .htaccess and .staccess in the NukeSentinel™ Admin Control Panel.

3. Select CGI Auth Access from the drop down box.

4. From the NukeSentinel Admin Control Panel, select Scan For New Admins.

5. Now select Admin Auth List and make sure that all admins have been assigned passwords.

6. Now, you should see a link that says Build CGIAuth file. Click it. That will build your .staccess id:pass file.

7. Now back in the main NS ACP, in the .staccess box, you will see a link that says CGI Auth Setup. Click it. It should produce a new window with the following information;
8. Save this in .htaccess:

As you can see, I was at step one and did what it said to do. I set their permissions to 777 using the file manager.
I then moved on to step 2. 2. Place the paths to .htaccess and .staccess in the NukeSentinel Admin Control Panel.
In order to do that, I needed to access my NSACP. I set my browser to admin.php and it asked for admin pw. Correct me if I am wrong but this is where I believe it asked for NS GOD admin pw. I entered that usr name and pw. No luck. Tried it several times to make sure I wasn't making a mistake. No use. I tried the other pw's associated with my Ravenphpnuke and nada. I then tried to use my cPanel thinking I must have to change the permissions back or something. Not able to connect to Cpanel. Can't ftp, can't Cpanel. If I failed to follow the instructions then someone needs to show me where I did so I can see what I missed. What is the next step to do?
Express

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:43 am Reply with quote

If you cannot access cPanel or connect via ftp then it would seem the problem is with your host.
There is no way the installation routine would cause this.
Can you see the home page for the site itself?

express

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:13 am Reply with quote

No, I cannot connect to my home page, or my Cpanel, or ftp connect.
I ran the url thru proxy and got this message back....

Internal Server Error
Could not build an ssl connection: : Please speak ssl on this port

Any ideas?

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:26 am Reply with quote

I cannot think of any reason why your host would be using SSL (Secure Socket Layer) by default so your best bet is to contact your host and ask them whats going on.
You might also want to verify if they are using PHP as an Apache module or as CGI.

express

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote

Apparently I was locked out of my site due to 5 or more password attempts to login.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Installation Help

View next topic
View previous topic