Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.20.00 - Feedback
Susann

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote

Hunnydust wrote:
"and then have the more "optional" add-ons available for download here with seperate instructions so we can add them ala carte. "
Installation of certified addons à la carte at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
I like the phrase: à la carte Razz

I´m pretty sure that would work with a few tens of certified tester and a lot of free time.
However, all addons in the RavenNuke package are extensive tested.
"Think before you install" this sentence isn´t from me but as far as I'm concerned I do that all the time before I add anything to my Nuke sites. Smile

redhairz
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quote

Less moving parts means less trouble(Less bug). i take the space shuttle as an example. There are over 300 000 parts in the space aircraft which need time to track and diagnose even all goes well. They fail to detact a small hole locate in the left wing i guess. When they about to land to earth something happen.

RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:32 am Reply with quote

In Reference to the installer and add ons.....

I build a ton of sites day in and day out. These are fairly simple sites and most of them include gallery. (They are Charter Boat Fishing Sites and having a cool way for them to do there own photos is a must)

I think the gallery team has the right idea with their installer. It walks you through step by step....it checks file intergraty....it checks permissions along the way and it holds your hand from creating the database, checking the image directories, checking the image processing files all he way through the install

Once completed you log in to the admin and hit modules and it downloads a list of availible mods. You roll through those one at a time and tell it what mod you want and what lang.....it downloads and installs it for you.

from an end user standpoint this is Da Bomb!

just my .02

Dawg

Misha
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote

Since my site is heavily modified, I'm not into automated installer. But guys like Dawg will definitely benefit from this a lot.

Out of what I needed, I actually found or wrote everything except one thing - blog. That's a biggy, and I know I just can't handle that volume of programming. So, my vote goes for blog.

Thanks and regards, Misha

PS Kevin and Guardian, looks like keywords are obsolete by now already. I'm heavily involved with SEO for the past half a year, and my current understanding is just that - keywords are not worth the time any more. They were important in the past, but now you are spending your time much more efficient concentrating just on title and description instead. M.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:10 am Reply with quote

The journal module works already like a blog and I noticed from my site with several thousands members its not used often. I believe its much better to use a subdomain for an external blog.You can use there any blog software and available addons you prefer.

Misha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:12 am Reply with quote

Susan,

Sure, journal is there for quite some time. Problem is - it is not quite a blog in modern terms. All those pings, trackbacks, blogrolls - in other words Web2.0 - are just plainly not there. I bet that's why you don't see a heavy usage of journal module.

If you try to install standalone blog in a subdomain, you immediately run into separate accounts for nuke and blog problem, which does not do you any good either.

Based on that, I still believe we need a modern blog module for nuke, with all the latest bells and whistles.

Regards, Misha

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:36 am Reply with quote

Quote:

If you try to install standalone blog in a subdomain, you immediately run into separate accounts for nuke and blog problem

Sorry I'm not quite sure what you mean by the above, could you explain?

Misha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:25 am Reply with quote

Jakec,

If your blog is not integrated into your nuke, your users have to use separate accounts to login to blog - not their nuke account. In other words, any third party blog is not adapted to use already existing nuke accounts. That's pretty much like phpBB. If you just install it on a separate subdomain, you need a separate set of accounts for it.
I guess that's why BBtoNuke has been written. If you can do something similar for, say, wordpress - people will use it as much as they use phpBB now.

Regards, Misha

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote

yup, my goal at some point is to integrate b2evolution blog into nuke... to find the time...

hunnydusst

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote

Montego......... that would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:25 am Reply with quote

Misha, the META keywords tag might not be as useful as it has been in the past, but keywords are still very useful. As you mentioned, having the right keywords in your title and description has become much more important. That's why the next release of nukeSEO will have the ability to have page-specific titles, descriptions and keywords, among several other improvements.

As for a blog, I'll focus on other areas before that, but certainly am happy that others are interested in it!

montego

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:21 am Reply with quote

And, I believe Evaders is also working on integrating a popular Wiki into nuke too...

jakec

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:50 am Reply with quote

Misha, thank you for clarifying that.

I guess rather than fully intergrating a blog you could build a bridge, something like what Gallery does.

Misha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:44 am Reply with quote

kguske wrote:
Misha, the META keywords tag might not be as useful as it has been in the past, but keywords are still very useful. As you mentioned, having the right keywords in your title and description has become much more important. That's why the next release of nukeSEO will have the ability to have page-specific titles, descriptions and keywords, among several other improvements.

As for a blog, I'll focus on other areas before that, but certainly am happy that others are interested in it!

Kevin,

Sure I meant the keywords tag. No question about using right keywords in the title and description, title is probably the most important part of on-page optimization. Since I have a home-grown code for this, it is not a burning issue for me any more.

BTW, while we are on the topic of Nuke SEO, I would suggest you consider splitting sitemap into several pages with not more than a 100 links on each. Based on what I know by now, bigger number of links effectively shuts down the page rank transfer to linked pages. And the ability to pick which module goes to the first page of sitemap will not hurt either.

Thanks and regards, Misha

Misha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:50 am Reply with quote

jakec wrote:
Misha, thank you for clarifying that.

I guess rather than fully intergrating a blog you could build a bridge, something like what Gallery does.

Jakes,

I'm neither skilled ehough for the job, nor willing to do it for various reasons. That's why I was posting it here as a suggestion for the next RN release.

Regards, M

Misha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:52 am Reply with quote

montego wrote:
And, I believe Evaders is also working on integrating a popular Wiki into nuke too...

I never was a big fan of wiki. May be because the guys at the main one keep editing out my submissions Very Happy Twisted Evil

Susann

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:18 pm Reply with quote

Misha, sorry coulnd´t reply earlier because of my connection issues within the last 24 hours.
So here is what I think about a blog feature in Nuke:

A blog in nuke integrated isn´t the same like a stand-alone blog.And from seo point I would always prefer an external blog because there are just more ways to optimize for search engines. Thats not possible in RavenNuke because of different reasons.
However, when RavenNuke user could vote for a blog system or an integrated chat more than 60 % would vote for a chat.I´m pretty sure because thats a popular form of communication.
Blogshäre and Nuke are two completely different things. I know a few guys wich left the Nuke community after several years and they joined the very active blogshäre here and I´m pretty sure they wouldn´t touch a blog in Nuke or post there anything.
Back to the chat:I had a chat a time ago, of course not integrated in my Nuke, but it was very popular and there wasn´t any problem to register twice.
Beneed this I have a section in my forum called"About You" its something like "Introduce yourself" and that works also.

Every section where members have rights to write you need to controll this permanently and of course you need a good spam protection.

Don´t know about your sites but this can become to a full time job with thousands of registered members.
I believe Business sites don´t need usally a blog and Clan sites prefer other ways to communicate.
But if you like to test out there are addons like Nickpages and a BlogMod for BBtoNuke 2.0.22 available wich are more or less similar I think.
If you need download url for the blog mod let me know.
Summa summarum:
I´m not for a chat module in RavenNuke.

Last edited by Susann on Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total 
Misha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:33 pm Reply with quote

Susan,

I'm not going to argue with you over this. Obviously my experience is different from yours, and I'm casting my vote for blog, while you are casting yours against. It all cancels out at the end.. Twisted Evil

Susann

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:43 pm Reply with quote

Anyway, there will be neither a chat module nor a blog within the next release.
Did you ever tried the forums blog ? Should work with RavenNuke.

Misha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quote

Nope. I don't have any experience installing phpBB hacks on nuke. Since my knowledge of nuke is very limited, and knowledge of phpBB is almost non-existent, I'm usually reluctant going that route. But I might give it a try on my staging server, thanks for the idea Wink

Susann

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote

I have not tested this mod but its available in english here:
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Misha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Susan,

It took me a while to figure out how to download the stuff, but general knowledge of nuke helped to beat general lack of knowledge of German Smile

vaudevillian
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:05 pm Reply with quote

myspace clone this one is for nuke

the link to the download page

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:45 pm Reply with quote

Not sure I would consider myspace a blog, if that's what you meant, but the link isn't available unless you're registered.

vaudevillian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:13 pm Reply with quote

oops, read ideas and I got the wrong idea. Should read the first post first.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.20.00 - Feedback

View next topic
View previous topic