Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Seeking applications ...
liqiud
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:45 pm Reply with quote

I'm looking for some kind of block or module, that will allow my users to announce when they can be there for PvP matches and tournaments. I don't want them to have to read, so much as just click Yes/No/Late on different days of the week. I would rather not use a calendar, and i'm leaning more towards using some kind of module...but it has to integrate into phpnuke, so i don't need extra accounts.

Any ideas?

hitwalker
Sells PC To Pay For Divorce

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:44 am Reply with quote

nope....
i just replied to <bump> cause you were almost gone..
asked 2 persons with some gaming knowledge if they know what you might been looking for but they didnt...

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:51 am Reply with quote

How about setting up a poll in the forums?

Probably not exactly what you wanted, but they could answer yes, no and then post a message?

liqiud

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:01 am Reply with quote

i'd have to have a poll for every day of the month though...looks like i'm either going with some sort of excel file they can edit online, or a calendar that everyone can edit. Thanks for asking around hitwalker.

utssace
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:44 pm Reply with quote

I know you are not looking to use a calendar module but they do come in real handy for this type of thing.

Our clan relies on it extensively and it works great.

Check it out at www.saints-n-sinners.com

The person that admins our matches posts the event in our calendar (which then shows up in our "upcoming events" block). Then we use a forum thread to allow people to sign up to play.

Haven't seen anything like what you are talking about.

liqiud

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:54 pm Reply with quote

I kind of like that idea...how did you make that work, so when something is on the calendar, you can have it automatically appear in the upcoming events...and does it automatically link to a forum post?

utssace

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote

We use the NuCalendar module. It comes with a block that we called "Upcoming Events"....the block is empty if there are no events listed in the calendar. NuCalendar has an admin area that you can post your events. We use our calendar only for match postings.

The only way we know who can play though, is to use our forum. We have a separate clan thread in the forum for matches. We list the match in the forum and our members know that when they see an upcoming event, they need to go to the forum and post if they can play.

Haven't found a better way to do this, but it works for us. We stay well organized this way.

liqiud

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:31 pm Reply with quote

that might work for tournaments...just not for the nightly stuff...i'll have to take a look. Do you know if there is a way to tell it to ignore some events?

I'll have to look into that...right now we're using easy php calendar.

utssace

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote

You can set up Event Categories in the NuCalendar. You can also specify which category you want to show in the block. Therefore, you can use the calendar for other stuff too, but only show a specific category in the block.

liqiud

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote

ok...so i've done some looking...i can't find a version of NuCalendar to d/l that works with the newest version of raven...

Also, on a completly unrelated topic...who made your banner, and with what software? my guild-mates love it.

utssace

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quote

I am running NuCalendar with the latest RN 2.10.00 & latest Nuke Sentinel. No problems for us. I can't remember where I got it from. I think NukeKorea.

As for the banner. I do a little photoshop'n. I made the graphic by patching some gaming graphics together and adding some effects. Also, I worked with the theme maker to help me customize the banner to a fixed width theme and add the flash.

Last edited by utssace on Sat May 05, 2007 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total 
liqiud

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quote

thanks dude...i'll see what i can do with it.

utssace

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:21 pm Reply with quote

Great, I hope it works for you.

I am removing the download link now. Cool

Gremmie
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:40 am Reply with quote

See my sig for another calendar. Smile

utssace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:53 am Reply with quote

Thanks Gremmie,

I have downloaded your GCalendar. Currently I have nucalendar set up with me (Superadmin) and one other person with calendar admin access. I don't want to release it to other users. If I remember correctly, I had to hack something (don't remember what) to allow another user to help me admin the calendar.

Will GCalendar allow me to give certain users admin access?
How do I safely remove the Nucalendar so I can make the switch?
Can you link me to a GCalendar that is working on a site so I can have a look?

Thanks Cool

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:42 am Reply with quote

utssace wrote:

Will GCalendar allow me to give certain users admin access?

I coded it to allow this, but to my knowledge no one has done this. Maybe someone with more Nuke experience can chime in here. I think you have to use a tool like phpMyAdmin and add the other admin's admin name into the module table, admin column (which is a comma separated list of admin names) for the GCalendar row. Whew....!

utssace wrote:

How do I safely remove the Nucalendar so I can make the switch?

Deactivate the blocks then deactivate the module. Later on you can delete the code and tables, but don't do that until you are sure you won't ever go back to it.

utssace wrote:

Can you link me to a GCalendar that is working on a site so I can have a look?

I'll send you a PM.

utssace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:45 pm Reply with quote

It looks great Gremmie. I like the homepage block. I will have to give it a try.

BTW, I found my notes on adding a mini admin for Nucalendar...wonder if this same method will work for the gc.

Here is what I did in Nucalendar:

Edit links.php file in /nucalendar/admin/links.php

change:
Code:
if (($radminsuper==1) OR ($radminlink==1)) {

adminmenu("admin.php?op=NuCalendar", "NuCalendar", "nucalendar.gif");
}

To this:
Code:
if (!defined('ADMIN_FILE')) {

die ("Access Denied");
}

global $admin_file;
adminmenu("".$admin_file.".php?op=NuCalendar", ""._NuCalendar."", "nucalendar.gif");

What this did was make the NuCalendar option show up when I edit user admin permissions.

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote

I already have the equivalent code in GCalendar. You shouldn't have to change code to give another admin access. You just need to add them to the modules table for GCalendar. Again, this is all "in theory" because I haven't done it. Smile

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:00 pm Reply with quote

Okay, I just noticed, for the first time ever, Smile Smile, the Edit Admins function in the admin panel. There is a checkbox for GCalendar. So my guess as to having to edit the table with phpMyAdmin directly is probably totally wrong. So I would suggest using this Edit Admin screen to give an admin permission to GCalendar, and then try it and see if it worked. I already coded GCalendar to accept additional admins, but like I said, it has not been tested (by me). Let me know if it works. Thanks!

utssace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:09 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, it works great. No hacks or database edits needed. I just edited admins and worked fine. I also like the css formating. Another thing is the add event screen is a lot cleaner.

Nucal's backend looked terrible..almost like it wasn't compatible with my theme.

Great work Gremmie Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Seeking applications ...

View next topic
View previous topic