Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.20.00 - Feedback
kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quote

I'll try to get an update for nukeSEO in time for this. I'd also like to contribute an updated headlines() function that will enable RN to consume / display RSS 1.0, 2.0 and ATOM feeds.

Not sure if it would be useful, but nukeFEED should be done by then, too. It will provide the ability to generate RSS 2.0 and ATOM feeds for multiple content types, not just News or Forums (i.e. no need for backend.php, which we can redirect to nukeFEED for greater compliance).

I have some ideas on administration enhancements, too, but I'm sure everyone does...

gregexp
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote

Hey that sounds awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:24 pm Reply with quote

We can replace the ultramode.txt then completely ?
I hope there will be no issues with characters like ä,u,ßor ` etc. and of course I prefer always to have an option to define the maxpostsize like its currently in the backend.php.
Btw: Does NukeSeo generate dynamic keywords and description for News ?

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote

Not yet, but the plan is to generate dynamic headers, titles and allow you to override the keywords by module or specific content (e.g. a story). Dynamically generating the keywords would require some sort of algorithm, and I haven't seen anything that would work well or consistently well... I'm thinking of using a block that would allow you to specify the title, description and keywords for specific content, and, if that hasn't been defined, use logic to determine the title and description keyword values, and use the default site META keywords...

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:31 am Reply with quote

Speaking of the RN 2.20.00 list, it is quite ambitious. I think completing the job on the XHTML compliance side should also be considered. We did not address all the admin areas.

redhairz
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:48 pm Reply with quote

This is cool Thanks raven and the teamssss for pushing out new feature addin. i do hope the forum index has a simple forum mod to display the recent post mod like similar topic mod you see in this forum. Why recent post mod because i see user find it easy to read the latest post that user just wrote in. this also help to attract the member to take part in the discussion. I hope my suggestion is not too much to ask. Smile) sorry first hehe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:55 pm Reply with quote

kguske the plan sounds cool. I know that it will take more time but many things are possible.

redhairz similar topics is really cool I´m for it. I use this mod from Leuchte since a very long time and my members like the way to find similar topics easily. Smile
Recent posts from today, yesterday within the last 24 hours etc. is an alternative I should try out. I believe both mods can work beneed.

jlajax
Ardent RavenCMS Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:10 pm Reply with quote

WoW sounds like good things are coming.

WISH LIST ITEM:

In the Site info log-in block, if the user is also an admin, have the admin log-in block appear in the Site Info log-in after the normal user log-in is completed.

RavensScripts

valdarez
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote

I would love for there to be a blog. I think several of our members would use it quite often.

Is there a version you are looking at including, or will you develop it from scratch?

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote

We are looking to include scripts already written that are mature, if possible. We do not intend on reinventing the wheel. Also, but I don't know if I can finish this in time, I plan on removing as many add-ons as possible from the RavenNuke(tm) distro. These will then become separate downloads with separate installation routines. I do not want to bloat this distro. I haven't worked out all of the details just yet, but I intend on trying to make this process as automated as possible. My Nirvana, if you will, would be to have the Installer be like a smorgasboard. I'd like you to be able to pick and chose what additional (non-core) scripts to add. It could be done in several ways. I'm planning on having the core download file and then either a single file with all of the addons or possibly offering the addons individually and then zipping them up for download. Another possibility is to add the selected addons to the core download package.

It's industrious, I know. Whether I have it in time for the initial v2.2 release is a desire but probably not realistic, but one can never tell Wink

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:30 am Reply with quote

Raven, the smorgasbord idea is one I like a lot. It would be nice to include a selection of language files too. Not to put too much on your plate, no pun intended. If I can help let me know.

Raven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:55 am Reply with quote

fkelly, I thought you might like that one Wink

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote

kguske wrote:
Dynamically generating the keywords would require some sort of algorithm, and I haven't seen anything that would work well or consistently well...

I was sure I had sent you something for this, I'll see if I can find it again.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:08 pm Reply with quote

Raven, I love the idea your proposing for a new installer routine.
I would still like to see a folder permisions test on those files and/or folders which need to be writable e.g FCKEditor image directories.
Also a built in forced warning in header when logged in as an admin if some specific files are world writable but shouldnt be e.g. config.php, htaccess

montego

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:12 am Reply with quote

Quote:

Raven, I love the idea your proposing for a new installer routine.

Me too. I've been saying "smart installer" for quite awhile. Maybe some form of software manifest and/or XML installer "directives" for each module, could be utilized. I also like the "yum" concept for getting updates... but, we're really talkin' ambitious there...

kguske

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:13 am Reply with quote

montego, can you elaborate on the "yum" concept?

montego

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:17 am Reply with quote

Sure, from my understanding of the Linux "yum" command, is that it will check for later versions of a particular RPM package and if newer one exists, installs it.

I am by no means a Linux guru, so if I have this wrong, the concept is still valid, but not an easy one to accomplish as one would have to have a really good way of identifying dependences (which is another thing yum does). lol.

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:32 am Reply with quote

Yep I havne't seen something that will identify dependencies like that, at least for PHP code. But for references from what I've seen

- Mambo/Joomla both have addon installations that look pretty good. So does Gallery 2
- SimpleMachines has an interesting number of packages. Their package installers will do code updates, I believe like phpBB's Easymod.. they get around permissions by using an FTP function to make files 666 writable.

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
kevinkap
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote

Nice list of addons!! I really like the idea of the install what you want feature. I was thinking of something like that and wishing I was smart enough to do it. The system Gallery 2 uses is pretty nice I think. You can install what you want when you want, then un-install if you want. Some addons such as Sommaire does do checks to see if various folders and files are writable during installation and makes backups of changed files as well.

As going to a wish list, the contact plus module is a nice one that many use and montego showed us how to add the graphics check to it. The address List is another one and is only 2 files, it simply displays a list of all members with user name, real name, and e-mail. One other is the membership application module by Driven by faith designs. Tim has re-wrote most of it for xhtml compliance and compatability with RN 2.10.

Again this is a wish list and would probably be best served with the ability to install at will and not made a mandatory part of the distro.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:45 am Reply with quote

In exploring possibles for the e-commerce add-on, I'd like to have some feedback. One that I am looking at in particular is AserShop2.0 for nuke. Comments/Experience?

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:32 am Reply with quote

I have not looked at this particular e-commerce module, nor used it but I'll certainly download it and give it a once-over.

One thing I see from looking at the 'feature' list that I really like is the fact that a buyer doesn't have to actually register on the site it is installed on to make a purchase.
I'm using a paid-for shop script on one of my sites and I have a nasty conflict between disallowing free email accounts from registering on the site but still trying to generate sales. At the moment, spam prevention is a priority so as a consequence, I have no doubt I am losing potential sales.

kevinkap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:34 pm Reply with quote

Jaded has a modified version of this cart to add paypal gateway with the cart. I use it on one site and it works pretty good.

As far as the gallery, I now most people dump on coppermine, but there is a hacked version by max.pcnuke that I have had pretty good luck with. It integrates well and has its own installer. Could use some updating and a bit of tweaking but functionally it works well. I know people will say it is full of holes, but it seems that every software has some holes.

montego

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:32 pm Reply with quote

I am just struck with the fear that if we go too much farther without some really rock-solid installer / uninstaller that is very robust and smart, we're in for a bunch of headaches down the road. We need something that can inventory what someone already has and compare it against the "standard" for the given RN release and then walk them through the updates.

I'd almost like to see [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] become an inventory of RN-compatible scripts that the community has "certified" with a solid "manifest" as to what works with what versions, etc. Unfortunately, that is NOT a quick and easy task.

Sorry... I digressed as the hairs were beginning to stand up on the back of my neck which I have come to appreciate as my "warning signs"...

Let us not get too far down the road without having such a thing.

hunnydusst

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:13 pm Reply with quote

If it's not possible to reach nirvana at this point with a smart installer.... I think something along the lines of what Montego suggested as RN "Certified" add-ons would be cool.

You could package the actual distro with just standard nuke features and a few addons (FCKEditor etc)... and then have the more "optional" add-ons available for download here with seperate instructions so we can add them ala carte. I'd like to see a list of add-ons that have been tested and deemed secure here. (Although I know that's gonna create some work.)

In case I haven't told you lately...... you all ROCK!!!!!!!!! RavensScripts

slick_303
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quote

hunnydusst wrote:
If it's not possible to reach nirvana at this point with a smart installer.... I think something along the lines of what Montego suggested as RN "Certified" add-ons would be cool.

You could package the actual distro with just standard nuke features and a few addons (FCKEditor etc)... and then have the more "optional" add-ons available for download here with seperate instructions so we can add them ala carte. I'd like to see a list of add-ons that have been tested and deemed secure here. (Although I know that's gonna create some work.)

In case I haven't told you lately...... you all ROCK!!!!!!!!! RavensScripts

I second that....the whole thing...

Thanx,
SLiCK_303

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RN v2.20.00 - Feedback

View next topic
View previous topic