Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
chrisgill

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:52 pm Reply with quote

I just started a new site and was curious if there is a way to set the newsletter option as a default, then if they do not want it, they can disable it. The problem is that most of the people using this site really do not know how to customize the profile etc, so the default setting puts it to newsletter=off. Any help is appreciated.

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:13 am Reply with quote

Welcome. You can change modules/Your_Account/index.php, in function activate, from:
Code:
        $db->sql_query('INSERT INTO '.$user_prefix.'_users (user_id, username, user_email, user_password, user_avatar, user_avatar_type, user_regdate, user_lang) '."VALUES (NULL, '".$row['username']."', '".$row['user_email']."', '$user_password', 'gallery/blank.gif', '3', '".$row['user_regdate']."', '$language')");

to
Code:
        $db->sql_query('INSERT INTO '.$user_prefix.'_users (user_id, username, user_email, user_password, user_avatar, user_avatar_type, user_regdate, user_lang, newsletter) '."VALUES (NULL, '".$row['username']."', '".$row['user_email']."', '$user_password', 'gallery/blank.gif', '3', '".$row['user_regdate']."', '$language', '1')");

You could also modify the database table to default the value of the newsletter field in $prefix_users to 1.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:36 am Reply with quote

chrisgill, just keep in mind (and it may be perfectly "ok" for your site), that sending newsletter to everyone within them specifically requesting them might be viewed as spam by them. Just be careful is all I am suggesting. Make sure it is really what you want to do.

kguske

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote

I would suggest simply changing the text on the CONFIRMATION page to say that the newsletter is selected by default and that they can deselect it after logging in.

chrisgill

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quote

I appreciate the help here. I am going to try it now. This site [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] is a site that is used to say Thanks to those wounded in service in Iraq or Afghanistan. We send out a news letter to 90% of them so I feel that it would be alright. Now, with that in mind I will ask this question in case someone else is looking for it too, but to edit the confirmation page, where is that located. I will look in a minute, but it can not hurt to ask now! Smile Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic