Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RWH Other
Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:45 pm Reply with quote

One of my clients is experiencing problems with Outlook, which I don't use and don't even have on my machine Smile - I'd appreciate it if you all would take a look at the thread and offer up either an answer or suggestions Smile

Thanks!

Last edited by Raven on Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total 
hitwalker
Sells PC To Pay For Divorce

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:03 pm Reply with quote

ill probably wrong....but is this question for your customers to answer or the community?
Cause we cannot view it...

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote

Bang Head I forgot about that ROTFL

Here is the thread:

dschulze wrote:
I have a new site with multiple sub-domains.
1 of these sub-domains is having regular problems with Outlook as the email client, seemingly "losing" it's configuration and unable to successfully connect to the POP3 server.

We reset their passwords (only on the clients) and things work again for a day at most then the same issue. This is on ALL client PCs. Seems obvious that this is something on the client end, but I am at my wit's end with this and this is a very non-technical client so they are eating my lunch! Prior to the cutover here, I didn't have the problem. Has anyone had anything similar happen? Thanks for any help!

Raven wrote:
dschulze wrote:
I have a new site with multiple sub-domains.
1 of these sub-domains is having regular problems with Outlook as the email client, seemingly "losing" it's configuration and unable to successfully connect to the POP3 server.

We reset their passwords (only on the clients) and things work again for a day at most then the same issue. This is on ALL client PCs. Seems obvious that this is something on the client end, but I am at my wit's end with this and this is a very non-technical client so they are eating my lunch! Prior to the cutover here, I didn't have the problem. Has anyone had anything similar happen? Thanks for any help!

If a client program is losing its configuration it has nothing to do with the server.

dschulze wrote:
Ultimately I had to move this client off of the Raven Server due to the email problems. Perhaps my first phrasing of the symptoms is not accurate, as I now do not think the Outlook Clients were "losing" their configuration but, rather, the SMTP Server was rejecting their credentials.

They have now run without any similar email authentication problems on any of the Clients on the prior ISP and with NO changes to the Clients.

I really would like to keep them here and I still do not know what the problem was, but it certainly seems to be server authentication. Any thoughts on this? Thank you.

Raven wrote:
dschulze wrote:
Ultimately I had to move this client off of the Raven Server due to the email problems. Perhaps my first phrasing of the symptoms is not accurate, as I now do not think the Outlook Clients were "losing" their configuration but, rather, the SMTP Server was rejecting their credentials.

They have now run without any similar email authentication problems on any of the Clients on the prior ISP and with NO changes to the Clients.

I really would like to keep them here and I still do not know what the problem was, but it certainly seems to be server authentication. Any thoughts on this? Thank you.

I'm out of guesses. I have passed this over to tech support to see if they've experienced anything like this.

gregexp
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote

I personally use outlook and have found that if set to get Digital IDs or set to "Request Read reciepts" then they will cause problems.

The only other thing I can think of is a registry editor redoing somethin to the registry

Theres a download utility to set up the outlook express which alters the registry of the pc they use...perhaps windows was not saving the registry info like it should have.
When a registry's stability is compremised, windows will try to automatically repair it, deleting things that MAY be the cause, till windows finds its at least structurally ok.

I'd sudjest they run a utility like registry mechanic(more indepth analysis of the registry) or PC rescue(easy to use and effective but not as in depth).My OPINION.

Please dont quote me on making a statement that one is better then the other, I like my house and car and would prefer not to get sued. ROTFL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:49 am Reply with quote

im sure if this will help but long ago i played with mail-clients when i was busy doing auto submit on spamcop...
i do have a feeling this looks the same.....
im not that great explaining this in english but bottom line is that the way of communication between the 2 isnt allowed or has a conflict....
i think its a authentication problem...,meaning..the pop3 server has a tough time allowing it...

Btw...if it has cpanel....doesnt it provide any pop3 auto-configuration files ?
I have that but doesnt mean everybody has.. Sad

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:35 am Reply with quote

Unfortunately I am no help. I tried long back to use Outlook Express to access my email using POP3, but gave up. I just have everything forwarded to each individual's respective normal ISP's email system.

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote

Try connecting using the IP of the host, this usually resolves things and is much faster.
So, instead of using mail.domainname.com use 123.123.123.123 or whatever the server IP is.

gregexp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:25 pm Reply with quote

has anyone tried a direct ping or connect to the pop3 server, as outlook uses the standard windows configuration for connections to an e-mail port.

but this happening on all clients or just a few?

Raven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quote

I had no problem using OE but have since switched to Thunderbird. <ost of my clients use OE w/o any problem.

sharlein
Member Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote

I was having problems outlook, so I switched to T-Bird. Now I have the same problems in T-bird. My smtp server refuses to respond. Any help as to the settings needed? Thanx, Steve

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quote

Glad to see you're still alive and kicking :clap:

Your ISP may not be allowing you to route through them. Here is how I have TBird set up. I have left the User Name blank for obvious reasons. If this doesn't work for you, try port 26.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RWH Other

View next topic
View previous topic